Discuss Following grout lines on wall/floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Sam10

-
Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

In the process of tiling my bathroom floor and half height walls at the moment. Been regularly referring to this forum, it's been great so far thanks!

I've got the walls tiled now and have left the bottom row off while I do the floor. I was hoping to follow the grout lines through the floor and up the walls. Using the same tiles wall and floor, 450x450 rectified porcelain.

Setting out to follow the wall grout lines end up leaving three 25mm slivers along the long side of the shower tray, it works fine everywhere else.

Alternatively I can shift the floor half a tile over to kind of brick bond the wall/floor.

I think I already know the answer but my question really is, would you professionals accept three sliver cuts as the compromise to achieve matching grout lines throughout, or would the sensible compromise be to shift the tiles over, avoid the sliver cut and forget about matching grout lines.

Also sorry to go on, but I can still match the grout lines in the longer direction of the room (as you enter the door). So that's another question, would you maintain grout lines to the wall in one direction if you could or is it better practice to brick bond in both directions if that makes sense.

Grateful for some input! Cheers

J

J Sid

Should maybe have given setting out a bit more thought at start but that comes with experience.
Yes follow grout lines on all wall if you can and live with some slivers.
You have mentioned two walls will the lines still line up on the other walls?
I would always do the floor tiling first 🙄

Sam10

-
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys.

I gave the setting out quite a bit of thought and always knew I'd have to choose between the slim cuts or not matching the grout lines. The walls took a bit of thought due to shower screens, centering wall mounted bath taps, window reveals etc. A pro would probably see a better way but I'm quite happy with how it's worked out on the whole.

Will post some pics up when I've finished, be good to hear what I could've done differently.

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I’d live with the slivers and match the joints up I normally put the floor in first I’m on a job at the moment put the floors down in a few rooms while I waited for the wall tiles to turn up and the day I started tiling the walls all the tiles are about 12mm bigger :confused: looks rubbish not being able to match the joints

Reply to Following grout lines on wall/floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks