Discuss Floor Tiling advice and are additives necessary? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

I certainly don't know it all but I do want to learn by doing, I have done plastering, plumbing, basic electrics, all sorts of other flooring to name but a few, so if the time comes where there is an error then thats on me, my GF's Dad does a ton of DIY and he's quite good, bit too heavy handed for me and he doesn't know how to use a computer but he's self taught, nowadays with the internet I think its plausible to seek help and advice and at the end of it make an informed decision on whether you yourself are capable, in this case i will be going ahead, I don't mind posting pics for you guys to pull apart at a later date though but so long as the missus is happy at the end of it then I'm good with that :)
Don’t think anyone on here wants to rip apart any DIY persons tiling, wrong forum for that! Just we have seen this many times before, 10 metres of 600mm quartz onto a kitchen floor would have to be like a billiard table for me to do in one day but you are giving yourself this even tho you said even if it takes you 3 times that of a professional.

Granty

TF
Reaction score
Don’t think anyone on here wants to rip apart any DIY persons tiling, wrong forum for that! Just we have seen this many times before, 10 metres of 600mm quartz onto a kitchen floor would have to be like a billiard table for me to do in one day but you are giving yourself this even tho you said even if it takes you 3 times that of a professional.
Thanks I know that, I said to my GF if I was in a trade I'd prob be the same, i'm sure you guys have seen your fair share of bad jobs in your time.
The kitchen cupboards run the full length one side and half length the other so theres a lot of plinths along the kitchen perimiters, in fact 3 600mm tiles will reach under each side with about 2 cm to spare (inc Grout lines) so theres not so many cuts as you may think.
I thought a full day would be about right, got the following morn early aft if needed but if it takes longer than that she'll understand, my point is it won't be rushed, I've refused help on this job from a friend simply because I think he'll get frustrated working at my pace and also to ensure I get the finish that I believe I am capable of. Honestly if this job were to go wrong it would be based on the adhesive but I now have enough advice on that thanks to you guys and the shop.
My (Yes Limited) experience with tiling is that you have to work at a reasonable pace to ensure the adhesive stays fresh even when you make it up it reasonable quantities.
Thats kind of why I thought plastering would be my downfall as it's a job that needs a certain pace about it, I'm more slow pace make sure it's right but it worked out ok, nevertheless when it came to the landing stairs and hallway I paid a trades man as that was too big and daunting with the height of the ceilings over stairs for me to even consider attempting.

D

Dougs Third Go

Anyway thanks to all who helped, I understand where most of you guys are coming from but this is a DIY forum so please see where I am coming from, I was always going to be doing this myself.
If the adhesive goes wrong and my floor looks something like the yellow brick road during the storm then I'll come back here and admit I was wrong, that is highly unlikely though.
Just one more Question, what tool do I use to push the *adhesive between the tiles? ;)
do you mean "grout" between the tiles?, if so you'll need a grout float. Good luck.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

The adhesive I have used for a similar job was :
Mapei Fast Setting Flexible Quartz Tile Adhesive Grey 2 Part Granirapid

I am a DIY person who does some tilling now and again for friends, friends of friends and so on and have done for over 25 years. I am slow, always learning and those quartz tiles were almost the end of me. Was a different universe than laying some ceramics.

Granty. These guys are trying to help you (it may not seem it) and when they wish you the best I am sure they mean that. They are highlighting its not a simple job. Keep us updated with how you get on.

Granty

TF
Reaction score
The adhesive I have used for a similar job was :
Mapei Fast Setting Flexible Quartz Tile Adhesive Grey 2 Part Granirapid

I am a DIY person who does some tilling now and again for friends, friends of friends and so on and have done for over 25 years. I am slow, always learning and those quartz tiles were almost the end of me. Was a different universe than laying some ceramics.

Granty. These guys are trying to help you (it may not seem it) and when they wish you the best I am sure they mean that. They are highlighting its not a simple job. Keep us updated with how you get on.
I will and thanks for the advice, I appreciate all advice, thats why I'm here, just I don't want talking out of a job I am sure I am capable of doing. I'm happy if theres a learning curve but as I said I've tiled my kitchen walls and bathroom from top to bottom and had no problems so you can understand why I want to do the floor.
It's generally an easy layout and I suspect as I have measured to the mm that there will be minimal cuts for the size of the room, that was one reason I went for the 600mm as opposed to the 300mm, it was a close call but the 600mm fit perfect across most the width of the kitchen.
As for the Granirapid I saw that stuff a couple nights ago on the tile magic website and was planning on calling them today, seems a fair bit cheaper than the Bal Fibreplus with the Admix that Topps want to supply, though they did knock some money off their web prices it still came to around £200 just for those though I predict I'd have a bag to return.
Once I know I got the right stuff at a reasonable price I'll be happy.

T

Tile Shop

If it's Quartz from Topps, the manufacturer recommend a "low water content" adhesive. Not "zero water content". So you can use two part or the mix of products Topps suggested.

So if the adhesive was the Bal Pourable One, the combination will be 1 bag, litre of AD1 additive, to 3 litres of water (instead of the 4 litres used for normal ceramic and porcelain tiling)

Granty

TF
Reaction score
Well heres the pics, I'm happy with the results though I would concede it was more difficult than anticipated and there was certainly a learning curve with the levelling and even just the work load for one person.
Don't get me wrong I'm very pleased I did it and I will be doing the utility room/Toilet next but it's easy to overlook lifting tiles and grout bags into place, dry laying them all, the mixing and dropping tiles into place, certainly the 600mm, all of that when working alone is tiring. The cutting which I thought could be tough on quartz was actually very easy.
I didn't get started due to the kids until the Sunday (11th March 13:30ish) afternoon and went into the early hours, I called it a night at 2 thirds done and finished in the morn, grouted afternoon.
Very pleased but at the halfway mark around 10pm at night I had a few doubts, I was pretty tired but the result is great and I feel I accomplished something and learned a lot which is what it was about for me. Thanks for all of your help and warnings ;) You were indeed correct and I would advise anyone to carefully consider the sheer workload of an area larger than 5 or 6M2.
For what its worth the Mapei Granirapid with supplied Mix was great, I ran out and had to get one bag of the Topps supplied Bal fibre plus with some admix which stated 15 mins longer work time but I'd say the Granirapid was longer lasting and a little easier to work with for Quartz.
Anyway heres some pics
Would it be ok to run the wire along (in last pic), part under a 2 tile grout line (along doorway) for under cabinet and plinth lights and to grout over? Thats my plan anyway so I have one small part still to grout as well as Skirtings and door frames to fix.

20180321_001216.jpg 20180321_001518.jpg 20180321_002645.jpg 20180321_153519.jpg 20180321_001319.jpg 20180321_001344.jpg 20180321_001358.jpg 20180321_170933.jpg

Last edited:
J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Thanks for your photos. Sounds like you have been hard at work. What did you cut the tiles with (i've never used that material before)?

Hope the family like your hard work.

Granty

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Julian, The GF is very happy so I am safe for now ;)
The pics don't really do the tiles justice as it's movement that makes them sparkle.

I used a pretty basic wet tile cutter (Plasplugs Compact XL, £40 B&Q) and I brought a 110mm Vitrex cutting Disc I think from Amazon, really surprised me how easy the cutting was. Prob didn't even need the new blade.
Some other things that could possibly help DIY'ers.
The White china pencils where a god send too, I marked a few areas of the floor as I dry laid and after laying the first 2 tiles I realised I was slightly off (about 1mm but would have become more by end of run?) due to these lines, I quickly realised that every cut I had made would be off without correcting that. I had marked the first row clearly but I think it was due to the fact that once the adhesive is down you cannot see the lines so next time I'll probably fix a starting batten?
The floor was very flat except for one slight bulge, I read to start from the highest point if there is slight imperfection.
That would be my number one thing, get your first couple of tiles down very accurately as there's big potential to go wrong even if just slightly offline!
The other thing I brought off an online check list was the paddle mixer drill attachment, I'd not have thought otherwise as I previously mixed by hand but the floor took a lot of adhesive compared to the walls! I would not have wanted to mix that quantity by hand, it was hard work even with a pretty decent drill, in fact that was smoking a little at one point!
I really did learn that there is quite a lot of heavy work on your back and arms which is the main reason next time I do more than 6M2 I'd be giving myself ample time. I back buttered or spread (whatever the correct term is for a thin spread of adhesive) every tile and they were certainly much much harder to pull up once I'd done so so that's the other thing I learnt from my You Tube Videos, simply dropping large format tiles on top of adhesive and giving them a wiggle will give much less adhesion (Something I came across numerous times during my research)

I had around 10.8M2 of tiles according to Topps for a 9.7M2 job and finished with one full 600mm tile spare and that was due to the planning I put in, I figure there's more potential for loss with larger tiles. It would have been another £120 odd for another pack of 3, though I guess they sell individual tiles and take them back too?

I hope my experience can help others but like I said some of the warnings here are well worthy, next time I might just accept a little help and certainly with the initial set up (dry laying etc)
My 3 Year Old boy is some way off unfortunately but he is a key reason why I want to learn, to be able to teach him some basics at least :)

Last edited:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Try again...
For any DIY enthusiast reading this there's a few points I would like to make.

I wouldn't bother with a £40 plasplug cutter from B&Q......a grinder with a decent blade will be 10 times quicker and easier to use..

Use a metal straight edge or laser to keep your tiles in line, never try to free hand them down, you need a straight line to tile off..

Use a Proper paddle mixer to mix the adhesive, a drill is to fast and will burn out or you will end up with adhesive everywhere..

Any high points should be ground level or the whole floor should be leveled using SLC to prevent voids under the tiles.

And finally, be careful what you see on YouTube, alot of the advice on there is completely wrong, and posted by builders that haven't got a clue about tiling..

B

Blunt Tool

Thanks Julian, The GF is very happy so I am safe for now ;)
The pics don't really do the tiles justice as it's movement that makes them sparkle.

I used a pretty basic wet tile cutter (Plasplugs Compact XL, £40 B&Q) and I brought a 110mm Vitrex cutting Disc I think from Amazon, really surprised me how easy the cutting was. Prob didn't even need the new blade.
Some other things that could possibly help DIY'ers.
The White china pencils where a god send too, I marked a few areas of the floor as I dry laid and after laying the first 2 tiles I realised I was slightly off (about 1mm but would have become more by end of run?) due to these lines, I quickly realised that every cut I had made would be off without correcting that. I had marked the first row clearly but I think it was due to the fact that once the adhesive is down you cannot see the lines so next time I'll probably fix a starting batten?
The floor was very flat except for one slight bulge, I read to start from the highest point if there is slight imperfection.
That would be my number one thing, get your first couple of tiles down very accurately as there's big potential to go wrong even if just slightly offline!
The other thing I brought off an online check list was the paddle mixer drill attachment, I'd not have thought otherwise as I previously mixed by hand but the floor took a lot of adhesive compared to the walls! I would not have wanted to mix that quantity by hand, it was hard work even with a pretty decent drill, in fact that was smoking a little at one point!
I really did learn that there is quite a lot of heavy work on your back and arms which is the main reason next time I do more than 6M2 I'd be giving myself ample time. I back buttered or spread (whatever the correct term is for a thin spread of adhesive) every tile and they were certainly much much harder to pull up once I'd done so so that's the other thing I learnt from my You Tube Videos, simply dropping large format tiles on top of adhesive and giving them a wiggle will give much less adhesion (Something I came across numerous times during my research)

I had around 10.8M2 of tiles according to Topps for a 9.7M2 job and finished with one full 600mm tile spare and that was due to the planning I put in, I figure there's more potential for loss with larger tiles. It would have been another £120 odd for another pack of 3, though I guess they sell individual tiles and take them back too?

I hope my experience can help others but like I said some of the warnings here are well worthy, next time I might just accept a little help and certainly with the initial set up (dry laying etc)
My 3 Year Old boy is some way off unfortunately but he is a key reason why I want to learn, to be able to teach him some basics at least :)
You have done a good job for DIY and if your partner is happy aswell then it’s a winner. Well done !

Granty

TF
Reaction score
£120 for 1.08m.....jeeesh Topps are outrageous.
I agree they are expensive but all samples we ordered and the next door tile Giants same range were no way near as impressive, I have to say that every single tile looked amazing.
I think Tile Giants range was around £75 M2 with tops around £85 M2 but the difference not just with the mirror particles but the actual Deep black Quartz looked like at least 25% better and they look much more black, the Tile Giant looked a little Gray. We also ordered samples from 2 online places and they were just over half the price but no way near as nice,
I tried researching popular suppliers but didn't come up with much so I just thought If it's gonna be done it needs doing with the best I could find, I honestly think it would have been a bit underwhelming with the half price stuff. This was a big outlay to us but if it lasts us the 5 years or so were here and someone else 10 to 15 years or more then I'd say for the effect it gives it's worth every penny and will certainly add value when we sell our house.

Granty

TF
Reaction score
You have done a good job for DIY and if your partner is happy aswell then it’s a winner. Well done !
Thank you, that means a lot.
I was looking last night at some of the photos in the galleries on here and have to say that most of the work is immaculate. Some of those intricate designs I wouldn't even think of attempting.

Granty

TF
Reaction score
Try again...
For any DIY enthusiast reading this there's a few points I would like to make.

I wouldn't bother with a £40 plasplug cutter from B&Q......a grinder with a decent blade will be 10 times quicker and easier to use..

Use a metal straight edge or laser to keep your tiles in line, never try to free hand them down, you need a straight line to tile off..

Use a Proper paddle mixer to mix the adhesive, a drill is to fast and will burn out or you will end up with adhesive everywhere..

Any high points should be ground level or the whole floor should be leveled using SLC to prevent voids under the tiles.

And finally, be careful what you see on YouTube, alot of the advice on there is completely wrong, and posted by builders that haven't got a clue about tiling..

All due respect but I cannot agree with some of this.
The Plasplugs cutter worked seemlessly on these type of tiles, it was extremely easy and as for cutting by free hand, take a look at the line along door step (thats an angled edge) and the one along the cupboard threshold, it wasn't a problem for me but then I'd say people know if they have the eye and patience for that.
As for the drill, maybe you are right but my drill has 2 gears and the first was certainly not too fast, once the mix was almost there I turned up the speed which is when the drill struggled a little so low speed is the way to go, had it not been for the 2 gears I may have struggled to get control, I know this as I started in second gear ;)
As for the high point, to me as a DIY'er it made sense to start there after taking advice on that may I add and it worked for me. I'd have been very reluctant to use self leveling when the one bad point on the whole floor was minimal, before I pulled the old Vinyl tiles up I was dreading what I might find but it was a dream, It wasn't until I got down on my hands and knees with a level that I realised there was one small bulge.
Thats a fair point though and you know far better than I but I would agree that making sure that floor is as level as possible is vital and as for a laser, thats a great bit of advice, I will be using that next time. The white lines did help but covering them with adhesive was an issue!
Again as for YouTube, if you look at at least 3 or 4 videos specific to what you are unsure of you will highly likely find the right or an accepted answer. Mine was to do with back buttering and adhesive depth mainly, I didn't come across much of a variance, in fact I came across many videos explaining the difference in grip by applying adhesive to the back of the tile before laying. That gave me confidence, certainly after testing the strength that would ensure a longer lasting floor. Simply the back buttered tiles needed leverage such as a crow bar to get back up immediately after laying whereas unbuttered they could simply be lifted. Without you tube I wouldn't have realised that. So whilst I'm sure there are a few bad videos out there I would say that if you do enough research you can't go far wrong.
I've done a lot of DIY with the help of the net and have yet to get advice which I later find out to be bad.

Last edited:

Reply to Floor Tiling advice and are additives necessary? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks