Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Floor Tile Lippage problem? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Akhter

Does anyone ever have a proble with floor tile lippage?

Ive laid a few floor without to much problem but sometimes i think Lippage is a bit of a problem on some floors, I dont meen the floor looks like its got steps but a few lips im not hapy with.

I use a level, and timber to check it but still get a few lips even on nice new level concrete floors.

Anyone got any pointers, or know where ive gone wrong.

Much appreciated

G

GazTech

Does anyone ever have a proble with floor tile lippage?

Ive laid a few floor without to much problem but sometimes i think Lippage is a bit of a problem on some floors, I dont meen the floor looks like its got steps but a few lips im not hapy with.

I use a level, and timber to check it but still get a few lips even on nice new level concrete floors.

Anyone got any pointers, or know where ive gone wrong.

Much appreciated
Press the tile into place...butt up to the next one you dont want it to lipp against....and run your hand across them to see if they are flush....if not take appropriate evasive action....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Akhter

Cheers Gaz,
thats what tried doing but dont know why that floor didnt go well still got enough lips on it to irritate the hell out of me.

Could it be possible the tiles in the row to the right as i was laying them werent sitting 100% level so the next left tile was protrudeing? if you follow me

G

GazTech

Were you using a flooring or wall trowel...which type, and how big were the tiles mate ?

G

Grace'sDad

After lots of similar frustration I've come to the conclusion that there is only a very small amount you can do with adhesive to correct poor floors.
If you want a flat tiled surface, you've got to start with a flat substrate.
Large format brick bond is always going to present problems unless your floor is mirror flat (or you dot n dab:joker:)
I HATE brick bond:furious3:

G

GazTech

Always check with large level or straight edge how flat it really is in all directions...

A

Akhter

I was using thick bed floor trowel, large format porcelain tiles and the floor looked flat as a pancake,
but id swear some tiles just wouldnt level out even after spending ages messing around with them and checking with level etc

G

GazTech

I was using thick bed floor trowel, large format porcelain tiles and the floor looked flat as a pancake,
but id swear some tiles just wouldnt level out even after spending ages messing around with them and checking with level etc
Sometimes with this size of tile..(the larger the worse it gets) the manufacturing process slightly dishes the tiles one way or the other, so lining them up flush and attaining a solid bed are more difficult......

M

MrSpoon

i had the same problem a few weeks back (some tiles lipped..) was laying large format brickbond method, tho after lifting and replacing ones i wasnt happy with all was well, teach me a lesson to check levels properly and self level beforehand! would have saved so much time :yes:

A

Alberta Stone

A few years ago a customer had bought some large format porcelain cheap at an auction and half the boxes were ramped as if the pulled them too soon from the mold and they had a nice little curve on one side.
It wasn't enough to warrant scrapping them, but it was tough to install.
I butted the curved sides together and used them in the bdrms and along the walls as cuts.

Brick bond is a tough go sometimes isn't it.

If you know the height that your tile will be bedded down to you could get a wee strip of plywood or something that is that height and put it on the side where you have no tile so as to get your height right on that side.
Make sure that you scrape the mud out from under the board before you use it as a guide or you will get a false level.
The other end you just butt the tile up against the other one and work it down until it is flush.
I've never used this method, but if your having troubles it might do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TilingLogistics

I used to find PTB was the best for laying large format tiles. Don't forget large porcelain tiles can suffer from distortion (Planimetric Tolerances) as well. Its always worth checking Large Format porcelain for flatness especially if they are cheapos:thumbsup:

Kev

A

Akhter

Alberta Stone I like that method cant see how it could go wrong.
Tiling logistics what do you mena by PTB?
Thinking i need to go on another tiling course even though Ive been at an NVQ level 2 course.

I was convinced some of the tiles had a bow/curve on one side,theyveeen on sale at the tile shop for well over a year. I know because I fitted the same ones in my folks house with a lot less hassle about a year before, maybe the shops buying in cheap batches cause there isnt mutch chance of the same tiles being sold a year later with new styles comeing in etc.

M

MICK the Tiler

Start with a good quality non-slump floor addy and follow the directions to the letter in regards to water you add then when you start fixing you simply have to be fussy as you go. there is no real easy way just lots and lots of patience and practice. and soon you will get your first mirror flat floor.:thumbsup: If your laying large format tiles don't get greeding in thinking about how much you can fix work on about 5-7m2 per day and get them perfect.:thumbsup:

T

TilingLogistics

Alberta Stone I like that method cant see how it could go wrong.
Tiling logistics what do you mena by PTB?
Thinking i need to go on another tiling course even though Ive been at an NVQ level 2 course.

I was convinced some of the tiles had a bow/curve on one side,theyveeen on sale at the tile shop for well over a year. I know because I fitted the same ones in my folks house with a lot less hassle about a year before, maybe the shops buying in cheap batches cause there isnt mutch chance of the same tiles being sold a year later with new styles comeing in etc.

PTB = Pourable Thick Bed

I explained this in my previous post about the bows and curves on large format tiles! It becomes a real headache if you have to lay brickbond:thumbsup:

Kev

Reply to Floor Tile Lippage problem? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks