Discuss Floor Tile Adhesive NOT Going Hard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

ChipRivers

I have started my first floor tiling project but I am worried that the adhesive is not setting properly!

I have laid down an area of tiles which, although the exposed adhesive around the edges has set hard, the adhesive under the tiles seems to be staying soft. I had to take up one of the tiles which cracked and the adhesive was still soft, this was some 36 hours or so after laying.

Is this normal?

C

ChipRivers

Hi ya,

Using 'Focus All Purpose Waterproof Floor Tile Flexible Adhesive and Grout' - tiles are Pay Less ceramic tiles - tiling straight onto the original fit vinyl type tiles that were set down when the house was built.

Reading the name of the adhesive, I'm hoping that 'flexible' is the key thing here and that the adhesive remains slightly flexible to allow for cushioning of the tiles!?

T

TrumpersUnited

My advice would be throw that adhesive in the bin and buy some powder adhesive that will chemically dry, try and take that adhesive back and get a refund by all means.

But you should never use ready mixed adhesives for floors or walls IMO.

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi ya,

Using 'Focus All Purpose Waterproof Floor Tile Flexible Adhesive and Grout' - tiles are Pay Less ceramic tiles - tiling straight onto the original fit vinyl type tiles that were set down when the house was built.

Reading the name of the adhesive, I'm hoping that 'flexible' is the key thing here and that the adhesive remains slightly flexible to allow for cushioning of the tiles!?

Sorry 'chip' I don't know how to break this too you but!!!!
Ready mixed adhesive & grout in one tub!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsdown:
Onto vinyl tiles!!!!!!:thumbsdown:
Possibly years to set - if ever!!!!!!:thumbsdown:

Timeless John.:thumbsup:

C

ChipRivers

I bought this stuff to do my kitchen floor cos at the time of ordering all the other stuff I was getting to refit my kitchen, this ready mixed 'all in one' option was all they stocked at focus :incazzato:. At the moment I am using it to lay some tiles in my hall way, the majority I have already laid, just the edges to cut and lay now. Is that fact that it has not gone fully hard underneath going to be an issue?

I think that from the advice given I will try and take back what I have left (about another 4 tubs!) and exchange it for some different adhesive to do the kitchen with. However I would rather not have to rip up all the hallway and start again!

C

ChipRivers

I am definately going to look to changing my approach for when I do the much larger kitchen floor! Is there an easy way to remove the vinyl tiles that are down? I didnt realise you could take them up, they are the type which are laid in many houses from new and often carpetted over!

I spoke to several people previously, obviously not professionals like most guys on here, but they said that it should be alright to lay straight onto the flooring that is there. It may invalidate any guarantee offered on the adhesive but it should not pose any problem. Obviously they were not too well informed!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people say - even us - its what it tells you on the tub!
I'd contact the adhesive manufacturers on Monday and clarify the situation. Get it in writing and a 'name' of the contact. You may need it in the not to distant future if you intend to make a claim for tiles etc.

Timeless John.

J

jay

hi yes you can get adh to go over vinal but vinal must be stuck like s to a blanket and it pays to clean thougher to remove all wax and sealers and rough up surface ,in long run its best to remove as advised above use powdered adh on concrete, remove all tiles laid with tubb clean and re use sorry better to be safe than sorry :8:

S

Smithy153

If its a tubbed adhesive that you've used chances are that you will be able to lift the tiles if your careful. If you get some buckets of water and drop the tiles into the bucket and leave them to soak you should be able to scrape the adhesive off and re use the tiles once dry. Its a bit of a painful process but could save you on new tiles.

As already stated cement based adhesive should be used. Best practice is to get back to the concrete floor under the vinyls. If you decided to go over the top it would take longer for a cement based adhesive to dry but I think you will be lucky if the tubbed stuff will theres no where for the water to disperse too.

Get yourself a rapidsetting cement based addy and it should do the trick

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not only a tub (dispersion) adhesive, but an adhesive and grout in one. It's not good for either really. I'll not repeat what's said above, but I'd rip them up, scrape off the adhesive (and I bet you can, quite easily) and then get the right cement-based stuff on it which will cure by hydration and not what is effectively evaporation which is sort of why the edges are setting now but the middle of the tile could be far too long and with lots of shrinkage of the adhesive which isn't good at all.

Reply to Floor Tile Adhesive NOT Going Hard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks