Discuss Floor screed drying time - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mick7

I'm having a 65mm thick ready mix floor screed laid tomorrow over, what would you recommend is the earliest time I could lay 60 x 60 porcelain floor tiles on it. Bit desperate as i cant install the toilet until the tiles are laid - or any ideas - its a back to the wall loo.
many thanks
Great helpful forum

D

davy_G

Building regs are 1 day for every 1mm of depth. Thats 2 months give or take. That is however under normal drying/curing conditions. If the heating etc is on now and again I think 4 weeks is more than suffice. I tiled mine at 4 weeks and no probs.

M

mick7

ditra matting

hurray, this looks like the ideal solution. I used this in my bathroom over ply, it was quite expensive though. I used their branded adhesive( very very expensive) to stick it down to the ply in the bathroom.

Any advice on what to use to stick it to the concrete?

G

grumpygrouter

Check out the installation guides on the Schluter site, I think, but don't quote me, that you use standard adhesive, not flexy, on both sides. I.E BAL rapidset or Ardex S16 or something similar from other manufacturers.

I also thing you can get the Ditra from Walls & Floors for about £6.5/mtr. (may have to buy a full roll though)

Grumpy
----
I have just checked - 5mtr roll £65 +vat

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

or you could fit your loo siting on a piece of 12mm board and temporary fit it do the rest of the work while the screed cures/drys in 14 days
Regards Pete

M

mick7

Trying to find a stockist now of the ditra matting at a reasonable price. Any links please.

D

DHTiling

Ditra is spot on for this type of installation... here is the latest 2007 handbook for ditra installation.....

http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/5551-2007-schluter-ditra-installation-handbook.html

Also as mentioned you could use a green screed adhesive.....
BAL Green Screed Adhesive
green_screed.jpg

A grey, highly flexible, water and frost-resistant tile adhesive suitable for fixing all types of ceramic floor tiles, including porcelain, ceramic mosaics, terrazzo, natural stone (excluding marble) in interior and exterior locations. It also provides enhanced adhesion to low porosity substrates. Suitable for situations where fast track installation is required, i.e. recently laid screeds or concrete. Suitable for use in showers and swimming pools.

M

mick7

Ditra - I'm ready to go.

What a fantastic forum - thanks all for the great advice.

I've just ordered the ditra, and will use the adhesive recomended to stick the ditra to the new screed.

I'm only an amatuer I'm afraid, not an expert like you guys and this will be my first time laying a porcelain tile floor. Its just under 4.5 metres square on new screed ( level I hope) . Clear room, only one small post to cut around.
I've watched the ditra video - pretty helpful for an amateur like me and I'm ready to go.
So I'll trowel on the adhesive to stick the ditra ( do you think I need their branded tape to tape the ditra joints or can anyone recommend a cheaper one?) to the new screed and then trowel on the adhesive to lay the porcelain tiles on. What adhesive ( flexible??) do you guys recommend here for 60 x 60 porcelain tiles?
I'll seal the tiles first with Lithofin impregnator before I lay and then again after I grout. Is there a problem with the adhesive which appears dark in colour staining the tiles?
Someone recommended a porcelain tile cutter for about £60 from Boydens in Croyden, that sounds pretty good?

If this little 5 sq metre project goes ok, I might try the slightly more daunting 45 sq metre.

Any more advice before I start more than welcome.

D

DHTiling

If the floor is not to be used as a wet floor then no need to tape the joints.....use a standard porcel bond adhesive...ditra don,t recommend flexi on top of it...under yes on top no.....check the manual i have linked too in the above post....

G

GazTech

Mick, take some before and after pictures for the tile gallery....no one has done that for us yet.....good luck and don't stop asking questions if you are unsure of owt.....Gaz

Reply to Floor screed drying time - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks