Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss First of many questions I'm sure - Shower Niche in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

BigAl

Hello! I'd like to pick your brains regarding a shower niche I'm building (my first one). First here's a pic -

IMG_2783-1.jpg

1. How to finish the edges? Trim? Or overlap? and should the inners overlap the outers? Oh, and if u say to overlap, how do you seal the edges?

2. You can see how I've build them. Is there any sealing I should do to the plasterboard edges before tiling? Should I even have used plasterboard!?

3. Any other tips/ changes I should make / problems you can see.

Many thanks,

B

BigAl

Oh yeah, just thought. even though the tiles have sharp edges and same colour throughout, they're actually ceramic, so I guess I'd need an edge right?

P

peckers

Firstly i prefer to use a tile backer board rather then plasterboard as this gives you a waterproof substrate to tile onto. and your boarding and waterproofing in one go saving you labour time.
But as you are plasterboarding and only using ceramic tiles there shouldn't be a weight issue so i would tank the plasterboard with a membrane or you can get the paint on ones but i prefer the membrane.
as to finishing the edges i wouldnt over lap the tile edges as it is ceramic the exposed edges will soak in water. you will be best to use a edging trim or you could mitre the edges and then fill them with grout.
Dont forget to silicone all internal corners too.

The wall that has had tiles on are you going to re-board that wall?
is it skimmed?

S

Scott

Hi BigAl :welcome:

The Mapei brush on tanking is good, get yourself a Mapei showerproofing kit, not too expensive and all you need is in one tub. Its better to waterproof it and do it right :thumbsup:

If the tiles are ceramic you'd be better off with trim

B

BigAl

The wall that has had tiles on are you going to re-board that wall?
is it skimmed?
No I wasn't going to re-board. It is skimmed yes. Would a coat of tilers primer be ok?
Hi BigAl :welcome:
The Mapei brush on tanking is good, get yourself a Mapei showerproofing kit, not too expensive and all you need is in one tub. Its better to waterproof it and do it right :thumbsup:
If the tiles are ceramic you'd be better off with trim
Thanks mate, I'll check that out
Hi Big Al and :welcome: what size are the ceramics?:thumbsup:
Errrm, not sure, pretty big though (left) -
IMG_2853.jpg

S

Scott

Big Al im afraid they look like they will be too heavy for skimmed plaster or skimmed boards. You will have to overboard with new plasterboard or preferably cement backer boards for them to be strong enough to take the weight of the tiles. They look pretty big. If you can measure them then we can give better advice on teh weight issues

B

BigAl

Big Al im afraid they look like they will be too heavy for skimmed plaster or skimmed boards. You will have to overboard with new plasterboard or preferably cement backer boards for them to be strong enough to take the weight of the tiles. They look pretty big. If you can measure them then we can give better advice on teh weight issues

They're 30x60.
The are will all be new plasterboard apart from that wall. Can't I prime the plaster?

S

Scott

Wont make any difference to the weight issues im afraid. The weight will/can pull the skim from the backing coat. You could mechanically fix 6mm hardi backer if space is the problem? I use sall concrete screws for solid walls, just pilot drill and screw them straight in.

Reply to First of many questions I'm sure - Shower Niche in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks