Discuss Finishing silicone in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bogstandard

Thought I'd ask the pros :)
Finally have some time to finish my bathroom.
I was coing to silicone the internals and around the bath using mapei jasmine but have been advised that white on white looks better.
Therefore I'm going for jasmine on the internals with white to the bath.

Which should I apply first...Im thinking internals first then bath in white once the internals have dried?

Also my white upvc windows have already developed hairline crackin the grout to the upvc so I may be siliconing these. The window reveal internals will be jasmine so would I follow with white around the white upvc?

I was hoping to get away without silicone up to the doorframe (not cracked)& windows and may live with the hairline crack.

All advice apprciated....Thank you :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I personally like to use same colour everywhere (White goes dirty looking real quick). No right or wrong so go with personal preference.
All internals including where tiles meet door frame and windows should be silicone - any grout there will crack in time.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I did a bathroom before Xmas. Did all the siliconing I could do. Antique ivory around bath and shower. Slate grey around perimeter of rooms. I left the tubes of silicone for the plumber to finish off when he fitted the toilet and basin. Bearing in mind I colour coded the silicone to the grout............he finished everything else off in white!!! In my opinion he added another unnecessary colour to the mix.

Also, these colour matched silicones are about £8 a tube........his white silicone probably cost £2.24 from Screwfix.

Another also...........white silicone on a brown wood effect floor tile.......not a good look.

So, to answer your question.....stick to the same colour.

Reaction score
Agreed with the others, match silicone to grout even when onto white sanitary ware or windows. I used to use different silicone smoothing devices and found them all pretty good but was talking to an old rooster of a tiler and he said he uses ice block sticks then throws them out. I had a go a few jobs ago and now do the same as I found them great. You can alter the thickness of the bead by changing the angle of the stick as you are smoothing.

B

bogstandard

Thanks all. I have the "Fugi" kit to try. My tiles are semi-matt with aliminium brushed trim and I had a job to remove the residual grout haze so expecting siliconing to be a pain too.

B

bogstandard

Forgot to ask will I ob ok letting the verticals go off before sealing the horizontal runs? Or does it need to be done in one hit? I've heard silicone doesnt stick to cured silicone but I expect this is only over old stuff.

D

David - Tradetiler

New silicone sticks well to cured silicone (about the only thing that does)

B

bogstandard

New silicone sticks well to cured silicone (about the only thing that does)
Thanks David...Video made it look easy. I was watching a similar video the other day using lots of soap and finishing with grey silicone. The guy (who sounds the same) ended up with a golf ball size ball of waste silicone which didn't stick to his hands. At least I know I can do it in stages. Thanks for your time

Reply to Finishing silicone in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks