Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing grout lines in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

siremastimus

What do people think is the best way to finish off grout lines, do the pros use their finger/plastic pipe or just leave it to a light wipe over with the sponge rather than specifically working the lines with their finger or tool? Thanks

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
got to use a rounded end implement imo nine is a piece of wood whittled down and rounded ,but you can buy them from all good tile shops just cant think what they are called at the mo

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
got to use a rounded end implement imo nine is a piece of wood whittled down and rounded ,but you can buy them from all good tile shops just cant think what they are called at the mo
tile grout line thingies will do ;)

i just use a sponge as well

P

Peter

Good quality hydro sponge does the trick. In some instances where tiles have a deep bevel I would rake down with something suitable first to help the sponge along.

S

siremastimus

Thanks people, sponge it is then. At what stage do you wipe the grout lines, after you have applied the grout and allowed to dry for 10 mins or so, or before this point?

S

siremastimus

OK thanks so does this look correct:

Apply grout and work into gaps using float corners

Remove excess grout with float (long edge primarily)

Allow to dry for about 10 - 20 mins or so and then wipe of diagonally with sponge and lightly down joints with sponge

Once fully dried wipe over again to remove haze etc

Thanks

P

Peter

Depends on the grout type, make, tile, room temperature etc for when to wipe off. Best time is when the joint has started to stiffen up and is not watery or going into pinholes - usually when it starts to cake on the tile. Better testing every few minutes if you're not sure. Check if the tile needs sealing before grouting too.

Then a second wash with clean water a few hours later and finally buff up with a terry cloth next day.

B

bugs183

As above.
We either strike our joints with a bluntened stick, but some tiles suit going over just with a sponge.
The grout type makes a difference, especially modified types. These need a damp wipe over an area 1-2m2 just to break the polymers down so they don't stick to the tile face, then you can go over with more detail.
Best do about 1m2 then see how the grout is drying, everyday is different!
Then as above, wash again, then buff up.

Reply to Finishing grout lines in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen