Search the forum,

Discuss External tiling onto a new concrete slab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a job coming up to install 20mm thick porcelain large format tiles onto a freshly laid concrete slab (once cured)

Looking for some advice on the following....

1. How long from the day the concrete is poured until you can tile ?

2. I've done this many times in Australia but as climate and weather is a lot different here I can only assume the prep work must be too.... what's the method for sealing the slab?
As in what primer/waterproofing agent do people use in England than coinsides with the English climate?

3. Any other advice anyone's willing to add would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

L

LM

Our guidelines are 6 weeks for a 100mm slab at 20 degrees Celsius as an average.
The surface should be abraided by scrabbling etc to remove the laitanance.
With our climate you should factor in dispersion of water with the inclusion of a system such as Schluter Ditra Drain 8 etc.
An on site specification from your adhesive supplier would be advisable for this project, most reputable manufacturers will provide this for free.

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Cheers for your advice.

The concrete slab has aco drains around the outside which is connected to a soak away.

Would you recommend a liquid Dpm to be applied to the slab before
Tiling?

Also can SLC be applied over the top of the dpm or does that have to be applied first?

Thanks
Our guidelines are 6 weeks for a 100mm slab at 20 degrees Celsius as an average.
The surface should be abraided by scrabbling etc to remove the laitanance.
With our climate you should factor in dispersion of water with the inclusion of a system such as Schluter Ditra Drain 8 etc.
An on site specification from your adhesive supplier would be advisable for this project, most reputable manufacturers will provide this for free.

T

Tommythetiler80

Hi , just Done a job where I black jacked dpm a concrete base and SLC over the top so it is fine to do. Just mix dpm 6:1 for a primer base then a neat coat over that . Then before SLC prime with a sbr first coat 3:1 then follow with a neat coat. Always Advisable to call techies for whatever products you may use though.

T

Tommythetiler80

IMG_0588.JPG

H

hmtiling

Ditra drain or use the pedestals for me. Bal acrybase and rocatex xl500 are a couple more external grade levellers.

W

WetSaw

Surely you don't want to use SLC on an exterior slab because you don't want it level or am I missing something?

D

Dumbo

Surely you don't want to use SLC on an exterior slab because you don't want it level or am I missing something?
I put levelling comp on an external slab because it was really uneven but still maintained a fall .

Reply to External tiling onto a new concrete slab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen