Search the forum,

Discuss External floor tiles (Italy) Concrete base, thick layer of sand, sand dissapearing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I have a patio area round my house in Italy, the tiles are laid on a concrete base, with originally a thick layer of sand (there are rooms below the patio), and some kind of adhesive. The sand is disappearing, tiles are coming loose and are cracking. Lifting some of the worst tiles I can see there is hardly anything left holding them. Most of the area still seems sound.
My questions are these:
1) I would like to lift and re-secure the tiles I know are less supported - should I use sand and adhesive, just adhesive (easier for me - a novice), or something else?
2) Should I be taking the weather into consideration? (Hot summers, prolonged heavy rain in winter, 15 degree C. temperature drop between day and night in winter)
3) I would like to re-grout the whole are (after patching up) to seal it, would it be sufficient to grout over what's there without taking out the grout? Much of the grout still seems sound.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to External floor tiles (Italy) Concrete base, thick layer of sand, sand dissapearing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen