Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Excess dried grout on tile lines in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Battleroc

Hi All,

So I just started tiling my house, I am a bit of a novice but thought I would give it a go.

Me and my wife have purchased a house and decided to tile the whole of the downstairs in the wood effect porcelain type plank 150 x 600 (about 70sq metres)

I stared using Mapei ultra colour grout on the floor tiles and took on
10 sq metres in 1 go BIG mistake.

It dried to quick and I managed to clean the face of the tiles but the grout lines are a bit thick ( 3m spaces used)

The grout lines look a big jagged so instead of having a nice line there are bits slightly over.

Any suggestions on removing the excess?

IMG_1860.PNG

O

Old Mod

You might try something like Deterdek, it may soften the edges enough for you to tidy it up.
It'll get rid of those grout stains tho.
Follow instructions exactly!
It does matter, it's not an electrical product you can try first, and then read the instructions after when it don't work!

W

WetSaw

An acid based cleaner may do it but check in a discreet place first. Too much can take the colour out of the grout.

B

Battleroc

Thanks,

What would you use to remove the excess once the acid wash is put down?..... A sponge?

W

WetSaw

Clean water and a sponge. You may need a scourer or white pad to help remove the excess.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If that doesn't work you can use a tungsten tipped chisel to gently scrape the joints

O

Old Mod

You must pre wet the area with water, then put down the acid (you'll probably have to use it neat) and agitate with a white scourer for a couple of minutes.
Leave to work for a few more, do not let it dry on the tiles.
Neutralise with water and
a white scourer (clean one)
Then the best way to remove the dirty water is with a wet vac.
You just move the grout residue around otherwise.

How long has it been drying?

W

WetSaw

You must pre wet the area with water, then put down the acid (you'll probably have to use it neat) and agitate with a white scourer for a couple of minutes.
Leave to work for a few more, do not let it dry on the tiles.
Neutralise with water and
a white scourer (clean one)
Then the best way to remove the dirty water is with a wet vac.
You just move the grout residue around otherwise.

How long has it been drying?

OK teacher, I'll try and make my responses a bit more detailed...

B

Battleroc

It's been 5 days as I've had other house jobs to get on with but I need to sort this now i have more time

Plus it's sticking out like a sore thumb

O

Old Mod

OK teacher, I'll try and make my responses a bit more detailed...
Haha I wasn't having a pop at you ya nutta!
If I was gonna do that, I'd of done it earlier with your grout discolouring.
Deterdek does not fundamentally effect grout :)

O

Old Mod

It's been 5 days as I've had other house jobs to get on with but I need to sort this now i have more time

Plus it's sticking out like a sore thumb
Yeah that's a bit of a mistake.
It should never have been left. The longer you leave it the more it will cure and the more likelihood it'll have to be mechanically removed.

W

WetSaw

Deterdek does not fundamentally effect grout :)

I'd be surprised if any acidic cleaner used incorrectly wouldn't "bleach" the colour from grout but I haven't used that particular Fila product so I bow to your superior knowledge;)

O

Old Mod

I'd be surprised if any acidic cleaner used incorrectly wouldn't "bleach" the colour from grout but I haven't used that particular Fila product so I bow to your superior knowledge;)
It's just what it says on the bottle Paul, haha
But I have used it and it is a good product, but for this application, I feel it may be multitools at dawn! Haha

W

WetSaw

I'd try the cleaner first with a scourer. If that doesn't work try the mechanical removal option but don't use a spinning brush with acid!!

Reply to Excess dried grout on tile lines in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks