Currently reading:
Exceeding substrate weight limits.

Discuss Exceeding substrate weight limits. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Dave......you know better than almost every single....Moderator, Admin or member of this site........BS is a guideline.......NOTHING MORE......the job I am on at the mo the plasterers convinced the client that the tiler would "WANT" the walls plastered!!!!!!!!.......and they charged accordingly.........thank the gods they are Porcel-Thin from F.E.E.T..........that said BS is a guideline.........

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

It is only to see which payment band you would fall in :lol: .... but a recommend from a fellow TTA member will help :)

I have loads of them Dave....(hopefully you included)... heheheheehe......I think my posts prove the quality of my work (daily updates n'all).......why do they need to know my finances?

I would join just to get it more respectable in the industry.....but to be honest.......it has never stopped me earning a living and from what I have heard it dont help you make one!

not to knock it.........its all we have!

all the best

Lee

C

charlie1

I once seen 15 mm thick granite stuck to a plastered wall with no apparent problems, one piece was actually on the ceiling section of a long alcove. I'm well aware of the reality of what can be achieved in real world. There are others factors that would dictate how much if at all you would want to breach the limits such as if the wall was plumb and if the bottom row of tiles where tiled on top of the floor tiles. We all take our chances but lets put it in to perspective and I hope no one uses the old extreme scenario here with babies having tiles fall on there head in the bath. We are sticking tiles not landing aeroplanes.

C

charlie1

I have loads of them Dave....(hopefully you included)... heheheheehe......I think my posts prove the quality of my work (daily updates n'all).......why do they need to know my finances?

I would join just to get it more respectable in the industry.....but to be honest.......it has never stopped me earning a living and from what I have heard it dont help you make one!

not to knock it.........its all we have!

all the best

Lee

whats the point?? I just downloaded the TTA picture and had it stuck to my van!

joke

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I once seen 15 mm thick granite stuck to a plastered wall with no apparent problems, one piece was actually on the ceiling section of a long alcove. I'm well aware of the reality of what can be achieved in real world. There are others factors that would dictate how much if at all you would want to breach the limits such as if the wall was plumb and if the bottom row of tiles where tiled on top of the floor tiles. We all take our chances but lets put it in to perspective and I hope no one uses the old extreme scenario here with babies having tiles fall on there head in the bath. We are sticking tiles not landing aeroplanes.
Did i not mention i'm a part time pilot charlie:lol::lol::lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
It's all about risk assessment surely.

The spare tyre on my car says it should be run at no more than 50mph. If I do 55mph is it likely to burst. I don't know the answer. Mine may not, but my mates tyre could and cause an accident.

Will the plaster hold 22kg? Well it might do in this house but it won't in another!!

Last edited:
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

they wont even let me join.......you are.......well you can imagine......hehhehehheee
dont worry lee i have asked them loads of times to let tilers come to there meeting to put there opions forward what would we want from a tile asosaion but they just dont care what we think or want with only 90 tile fixer out of 60000 i think there missing out

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire

Hmmm. And how would you feel if your tiles collapsed on the wife whilst she was in the bath?? ;) jooooookkkkke!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I am not convinced that a tile stuck to a wall is putting the same amount of stress on the background as one stuck to a ceiling. I can understand manufacturers need to put the limits in place to cover themselves but that dose not mean that if you go over by a few kg the background will automatically fail

Exactly right Dean, They have to give a figure for people to work to, but it will also have a tolerance to allow for people who will always go that extra bit, cos that's what people do, isn't it?

I refer back to my tyre analogy, where the tyre will not automatically burst/puncture at 50mph. It is a recommendation that you do not drive faster than that speed, but some people will.

Reply to Exceeding substrate weight limits. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers? I'll tell you a funny story about how I got a job with Topps Tiles Newcastle and got top sales...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement