Currently reading:
Exceeding substrate weight limits.

Discuss Exceeding substrate weight limits. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
Someone on here (*in the know) may be able to quantify my point. How are the recommended weights tested? How many installations were tested (ten, one hundred, one thousand)? Is it essential that there are no failures per (e.g.) thousand installations - and who did the thousand installations? If exceeding the weight limit by (e.g.) 3kg per sq m leads to one failure per thousand, then 999 installers on here got away with exceeding the weight limit - but who had the failure? It looks a lot like the argument for not raising speed limits on roads - we all expect people to exceed them regularly by at least ten per cent - so lets make them lower in the first place to allow for this....

beanz

TF
Berkshire
This doesn't surprise me at all.. I've seen stone tiled onto new plaster loads of times, and yet to hear of any issues. I've had to do it a couple of times myself, to not lose the job, but made my position crystal clear.
Hell, i've even seen large stone tiled to new plaster, with tubbed gear! I know the guy who owns the house, so been waiting to hear if it has failed. So far, it's been up about 3 years i reckon!?!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
A well known baker board has been tested to four ton yes that is FOUR TON but they set the limit at 100KG. Hope that helps you :0)

Where the hell did they get tiles at that weight? Hope a customer never asks me to fix them, I'll have to get a labourer to help me lift 'em :lol:

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Someone on here (*in the know) may be able to quantify my point. How are the recommended weights tested? How many installations were tested (ten, one hundred, one thousand)? Is it essential that there are no failures per (e.g.) thousand installations - and who did the thousand installations? If exceeding the weight limit by (e.g.) 3kg per sq m leads to one failure per thousand, then 999 installers on here got away with exceeding the weight limit - but who had the failure? It looks a lot like the argument for not raising speed limits on roads - we all expect people to exceed them regularly by at least ten per cent - so lets make them lower in the first place to allow for this....
well you fix a tile to the wall first you have to ask where does the weight rest 100% on the wall or 50% on the wall 50% on the floor so are the wieght limits set for tilling on walls or ceiling ?the best way to test this for your self is to build a small wall 1800mm h 700mm w using a couple of 4x2 then fix plaster board leaving a gap at the bottom to slide some scales under then fix 600x600 porcs working off the scales to weigh the floor loading as you go up each tile will weight 8kg so how much wieght is on the scales take this out of the total weight and this will tell you how much the wall is holding you may well be very surprized .as for speeds on the moterway they are far to low 86mph will run your car at its best fuel consuption at over 50 mph the laws for speed where set the old high way code on breaking but modern cars stop in one third less distance a bit like wieght loading on walls set by dinosars

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
well you fix a tile to the wall first you have to ask where does the weight rest 100% on the wall or 50% on the wall 50% on the floor so are the wieght limits set for tilling on walls or ceiling ?the best way to test this for your self is to build a small wall 1800mm h 700mm w using a couple of 4x2 then fix plaster board leaving a gap at the bottom to slide some scales under then fix 600x600 porcs working off the scales to weigh the floor loading as you go up each tile will weight 8kg so how much wieght is on the scales take this out of the total weight and this will tell you how much the wall is holding you may well be very surprized .as for speeds on the moterway they are far to low 86mph will run your car at its best fuel consuption at over 50 mph the laws for speed where set the old high way code on breaking but modern cars stop in one third less distance a bit like wieght loading on walls set by dinosars

I remember the highway code picture for stopping distances. Stopping distance was about 1/4 mile at 30mph :lol: I think the outline of the car was a Ford Anglia

Somerset
Which brings us back to the classic (and in my experience - increasingly regular) dilemma. Customer has bought 12mm thick travertine for their bathroom walls and wants you to fit them direct onto the plaster skimmed surface..... Do you point out the dangers, give a range of safe options, and then tile straight onto the plaster cos customer says they want that done without the fuss and expense of expensive over boarding? Or do you walk away from the job (knowing that another tiler with less scruples will take on the job)? I have to be honest and say I have accepted one such job (customer had recently skimmed walls did not want over boarding) and walked away from two others in the last two years (old walls customers did not want over boarding). However - I have found customers are increasingly willing to accept additional preparation costs to get best results (e.g. Ditra on floors and waterproof boarding options on walls).

Reply to Exceeding substrate weight limits. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers? I'll tell you a funny story about how I got a job with Topps Tiles Newcastle and got top sales...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement