Search the forum,

Discuss Dot and Dab tiles!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

nat

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

hoping someone can advise me the best course of action? Bathroom refit started this week and when I have gone around to check tiling work it appears that tiles have been fixed with lumps of adhesive onto plasterboard? One tile I have managed to pull right off with very little effort, should I tell bathroom fitter to stop work?

Many Thanks in advance

G

Gazzer

Dot and dab fixing is not an approved method. I feel you are well within your rights to ask the tiler to fix in accordance with the adhesive companies instructions and British standards.

nat

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response! I really feel that I no longer want them to carry out the rest of the work to be honest I no longer have any faith in them.

Currently left with just a bath and half a toilet, the are due back Monday, feel like just telling them to get lost but they have the rest of my bathroom, vanity unit shower enclosure toilet etc...

nat

TF
Reaction score
Tile size is 25cmx40 cm, adhesive I think is Nicobond ultragrip, in yellow tub with black lid? Thanks for your help with this, I haven't slept a wink last night worrying about it!!

G

Gazzer

Bonding of the Tiles
Fix dry tiles immediately by pressing them firmly into position with a slight
sliding or twisting action. Where appropriate, the adhesive can be spread
both onto the surface as described above, and buttered on the backs of
the tiles. Whichever method is used, the tiles should be firmly pressed
home to ensure solid bedding without voids, particularly in wet areas
From time to time remove a tile to check that full contact has been made
with the adhesive bed. Where fixing is carried out in hot conditions, the
finished tiling should be protected from direct sunlight to avoid premature
drying. Should Nicobond UltraGrip dry out, due to excessive delays in
fixing, the adhesive must be removed and fresh material applied.
Adjustments to tiling can usually be made up to 15 minutes after fixing.
N&C (Nicholls and Clarke) Building materials manufacturer and supplierultragrip.pdf

View attachment ultragrip.pdf

nat

TF
Reaction score
Basically its a botched job then!? Can the tiles be taken down and re-used( long shot I know)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
you need to explain your concerns to them, and give them the chance to put it right at there own cost, DONT let them fob you off, if they refuse to amend there mistake just remember the cards are very much stacked in your favour..

G

Gazzer

I know what the fixer will say..."i have always done it that way with no problem"... then you should tell him that he has always done it wrong.
While the instructions do claim it is for large format tiles and you can back butter the tiles it also states Solid bed with no voids. If he has dot and dabbed it will be neither of those.

nat

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Andy for your reply, what if I don't want to continue with the work, where would I stand? I have very little confidence in the now.

Reply to Dot and Dab tiles!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen