Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Diy sos in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Discount Tile Supplies

So, sitting here watching the pro's tile a bathroom on DIY SOS.

Warm up Wall boards fixed to the wall, good start. Then GREY FLOOR AND WALL POWDERED adhesive to stick tiles to the warm up boards and bare plaster and then grouted with white grout.

Was they on a budget or would you use grey adhesive with white tiles with white grout?

What do you guys say!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm guessing they were ceramics. If you keep your joints clean as you go (so much easier when its wet!!!!) then you wouldn't know it was grey addy.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Prime 1st and then it should be fine, why spend more on the white when grey will do the job?

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Perhaps its me then! Will have to start fixing wall tiles with grey adhesive then.

T

trevortine

It wasn't warm up boards, it was homelux tanking membrane, which is fixed with a cement based adhesive and the same used to affix tiles.

andyb1

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as above if using homelux membrane, cement adhesive should be used saying that though he could of got white!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Never watch that bloody program, is it Nick Knowles? the man who said "any old fool can tile":mad2:

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Like above, at least use white addy that was my point! i supplied DIY SOS some tiles for a show in Crayford a few years back and condemned how they was going to fix these tiles outside on DECKING! they done the total opposite because they wanted it done quick, he wasn't too happy when i said their way was wrong so they never showed me on the program even though they filmed me for ages talking to him!

T

trevortine

Like above, at least use white addy that was my point! i supplied DIY SOS some tiles for a show in Crayford a few years back and condemned how they was going to fix these tiles outside on DECKING! they done the total opposite because they wanted it done quick, he wasn't too happy when i said their way was wrong so they never showed me on the program even though they filmed me for ages talking to him!
It wasn't really your point, your point was to advise warm up boards were stuck to a wall and commented good start, why on earth would anyone stick these on a wall? Your next point was to ask the question if you can use a cement based adhesive over plaster. Anyone who knows there stuff let alone running a tile shop should know simple facts like this.

S

Stef

Whats the problem with using Grey adhesive on walls?

I think the only time i use white on walls is if i can blag it off site or we are fixing travertine or another tile that requires white addy.

Grey is always cheaper & as John B says if you work clean then you will never know the difference. :thumbsup:

T

trevortine

Exactly robson! Be good to find the guy who done it and find out exactly what was used. Personally all looked well above board to me. Real tilers don't use tubs!!!

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Well ur just tight Robbo! And my point, Trevotine, is why use grey adhesive for £1.50 a bag more u can have white , its a lot easier and better? Come on?

Most tilers never use grey adhesive, unless tight, on walls let alone on plaster finishes.

And Why would u want to use boards any way? Why not just tank it lot easier. They plastered the other walls, then tiled them.

Reply to Diy sos in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks