Search the forum,

Discuss ditra matting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

proview1122

Hi first post here (but lots of info from the forums thanks)

Just had a tiler round to price tilling kitchen and hall approx 65m2 he suggested ditra bat but very expensive looked at dura but similar price

600x600 11mm porc anhydrite screed (spelling?)
is there a cheaper version of the mat
CHEERS

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

There are cheaper alternatives, but I always use Ditra.

Did the tiler actually explain his reasoning behind fitting Ditra?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No reason for uncoupling porcs on anhydrite unless there is an issue with the screed. Use gypsum based adhesive instead.

P

proview1122

There are cheaper alternatives, but I always use Ditra.

Did the tiler actually explain his reasoning behind fitting Ditra?

as its a new extension there may be some settlement / movement also it has wet underfloor heating
cheers

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as its a new extension there may be some settlement / movement also it has wet underfloor heating
cheers

New build... Settlement...... Hope not. Ditra won't help if there is........ I think you are either being spun a line by someone who wants to sound like they know what they are talking about or you are dealing with someone who is genuine but not clued up on screeds and building. No offence intended.

There is absolutely no discernible reason why ditra is necessary unless the screed is unsound or is too wet. The fact that it has underfloor heating is irrelevant and the excuse that their might be settlement is downright scary. If it were natural stone like travertine then yes but porcelain is far to hard to need it. As I said use a gypsum adhesive which will match any movement to the screed ( they Re made of the same stuff) thus no differential expansion and contraction. Both are very low with gypsum anyway.

D

DHTiling

Some tilers DO like to uncouple heated screeds, be them Anhydrite screeds or Cement based screeds.. it might be over kill to some but taking the stress out of the tiling field is always a good thing IMHO.

P

proview1122

many thanks for info, I think I will save some money then.

on a different note bradstone are doing a special offer on sandstone 22mm thick looks nice for a rustic cottage floor:smilewinkgrin: if I lay this on same screed do I use same adhesive and grout

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you go natural stone it changes all the rules...... Soft sandstone or limestone I would uncouple. I would stick the membrane down with the same adhesive but ou can use whatever you like on top.

Reply to ditra matting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen