Search the forum,

Discuss definitive advice needed, wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rogerdygas

I have got a solid floor, that is made from floorboards and I would pike to tile it in 300*300 quartz mirror fleck tiles. Please can you confirm that I have got the right idea?

* Screw 12mm wbp ply to floor (screws every 300mm)

* Electric UFH

* Tile using rapid set flexible adhesive

Would it be necessary to use ditra matting?

R

rogerdygas

Sorry the first bit is a little unclear what I meant was a floor with no apparent deflection.

If I was to put insulation board under the tiles instead of UFH would this mean they will still be cold to touch, or would insulation keep them a little warmer?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

All as above, If the quartz is sutable for ufh, I would use a two part adhesive, latex rather than water. It does depend on the quality of the tile imo.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
there has been quite a few probs with quartz laid on ufh, so 1st check your tiles are ok to lay on ufh

agree with republic , insulation boards instead of ply

R

rogerdygas

I have found out the tiles aren't suitable for UFH so I will go for slate.

Do you still think insulation board will be fine instead of ply?

What thickness of insulation board? 10mm?

Why isn't insulation board used in all applications instead of ply?

Still screw the insulation board every 300mm?

Thanks for your help guys.

C

Colour Republic

I think you might be confusing insulation boards with tile backer boards (although in some cases they are both)

The reason for using insulation boards is 2 fold. 1) to impove the effciancy of your UFH 2) It is a better substrate to tile to.

Most boards would need to be glued and screwed

B

bugs183

Hiya.
The industry is slow to catch on with new(ish) products, most people havn't heard of thermal boards, so still use ply, which is now proving itself to be second to thermal boards for lots of reasons.
Use adhesvie to stick the boards down, screw with washers, get as many as you can in.
Lay the U/F/H mat and then use self levelling over the top of this, Mapei Renovating Screed is one of the best levellers i've used, don't try fixing the tiles down with adhesive onto the mat, loads of reasons why this is not good.
Then tile away using a flexible adhesive.

R

rogerdygas

Hiya.
The industry is slow to catch on with new(ish) products, most people havn't heard of thermal boards, so still use ply, which is now proving itself to be second to thermal boards for lots of reasons.
Use adhesvie to stick the boards down, screw with washers, get as many as you can in.
Lay the U/F/H mat and then use self levelling over the top of this, Mapei Renovating Screed is one of the best levellers i've used, don't try fixing the tiles down with adhesive onto the mat, loads of reasons why this is not good.
Then tile away using a flexible adhesive.

Ok Thanks everybody.

If I wasn't to have UFH would I still use thermal boards instead of ply on slate tiles?

Reply to definitive advice needed, wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen