Currently reading:
definitive advice needed, wooden floor

Search the forum,

Discuss definitive advice needed, wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

Hiya.
The industry is slow to catch on with new(ish) products, most people havn't heard of thermal boards, so still use ply, which is now proving itself to be second to thermal boards for lots of reasons.
Use adhesvie to stick the boards down, screw with washers, get as many as you can in.
Lay the U/F/H mat and then use self levelling over the top of this, Mapei Renovating Screed is one of the best levellers i've used, don't try fixing the tiles down with adhesive onto the mat, loads of reasons why this is not good.
Then tile away using a flexible adhesive.

R

rogerdygas

Hiya.
The industry is slow to catch on with new(ish) products, most people havn't heard of thermal boards, so still use ply, which is now proving itself to be second to thermal boards for lots of reasons.
Use adhesvie to stick the boards down, screw with washers, get as many as you can in.
Lay the U/F/H mat and then use self levelling over the top of this, Mapei Renovating Screed is one of the best levellers i've used, don't try fixing the tiles down with adhesive onto the mat, loads of reasons why this is not good.
Then tile away using a flexible adhesive.

Ok Thanks everybody.

If I wasn't to have UFH would I still use thermal boards instead of ply on slate tiles?

C

Colour Republic

You don't have to use insulation boards you can use any tile backer board, but as mentioned before a lot of tile backer boards are also dual use and are sold as insulation boards.

Tile backer boards/ Insulation boards are a better substrate to tile on to than ply, they are also thinner in most cases. You can use ply as long as it's 15mm minimum and also get the very best grade you can get your hands on which isn't always easy... soooooo... it's quicker, easier and better to just use tile backer boards instead

beanz

TF
Berkshire
12mm ply is fine. 150mm centres for the screwing though, not 300mm ;)
I have to say, I really dislike using backer boards personally. When using screws with washers, you're left with loads of high points, so have to go really deep with the addy to keep the tiles from kicking up!?! Also, some of these boards are made from silica, which is pretty bad for your health. It's so bad, they don't even recommend sweeping it up!?! You have to Hoover it.

Reply to definitive advice needed, wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.