Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss cutting tiles without chipping them in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

hi all, i am tiling our bathroom, al gone fine but when cutting tiles around the bathroom window have run into problems.

the tiles are 600*300 glazed porcelain.

i bought one of those electric tile cutting tables, when i cut the tiles it leaves a serated edge on the tile. would i get a better cut / finish if i bought a cutter such as a Big Clinker Tile Cutter 610mm.

the tiles are about 9mm thick.

thanks

R

richie b

could try buying a better blade for it, the blades they come with sometimes aint the best, have a look on trade tiler loads of good ones on there

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you will need a blade suitable for porcelain.if it was a cheap wet cutter you bought i bet the blades poor quality

M

mikethetile

I had this with my wet cutter, fine with ceramics but sintered on porcelain

changed the blade and its been ok

P

paulyoung666

hi all, i am tiling our bathroom, al gone fine but when cutting tiles around the bathroom window have run into problems.

i bought one of those electric tile cutting tables, when i cut the tiles it leaves a serated edge on the tile. would i get a better cut / finish if i bought a cutter such as a Big Clinker Tile Cutter 610mm.

thanks

i bought the cheap ( £30 ) wet cutter from tops tile to cut my glazed porcelain and it was fine , you are not trying to force the cut are you ? , it might be part of the problem :thumbsdown:

M

mikebidd

Mine does it if you try pushing the tile too hard through as well . New blade and let the tool do the work and you will be ok pal try a diamond blade

T

The D

Score the line with the rail cutter then cut to one side of the score line with the wet saw. Make sure the blade is on the side that will be scrap. The score line will stop the side you want to keep from chipping:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Cut it upside down and the chipped edge will be on the bottom!
You have to be careful how far you go into a 'L' shaped cut but turn it over before they meet and careful with the last half inch.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

All good advise above, maybe worth trying a glass blade. You can pick them up from B&Q bit finer diamond, works well on porcelain:thumbsup:

S

Shawn Hickman

thanks

Here is a guide for you, that will definitely help:

<a href="7 Best Wet Tile Saw under $300: Top Picks and Reviews 2021 - https://toolsteller.com/best-wet-tile-saw-under-300/">Cutting tile guide without chipping</a>

Reply to cutting tiles without chipping them in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks