Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cut ceramic tiles cracking after adhesive is set in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mdv

Hi guys,

Been reading the helpful advice here but now need some of my own!

I had a tiler in to do my bathroom and long story short he started then disappeared citing family problems. Not much I could do except carry on where he left off and decided to finish myself as had all the tiles and adhesive and a free weekend.

No I have followed the same lines he set out which is proving difficult around the window. I am using 600x300x9mm ceramic tiles.

Basically it works out that around the window i need to cut a 49mm cut about 250mm into a 600mm wide tile. So I am left with a tile with a thin cut edge along the bottom. The cut is not the problem I have cut the tile and laid it, however after the adhesive has set the tile has cracked out from where the two cuts meet. Now this has happened both sides of the window so seems to be either the tile or the adhesive.

It is tiled onto a plastered and primed wall and using bal CTF4 adhesive.

It is not due to movement in the wall as this is solid and the tile cracked between 24 and 48 hours after laying. So I am assuming that as the adhesive is setting it is pulling the tile apart slightly and causing a fracture. Does this sound right?

Finally if someone knows how and why this is happening how do I stop it happening again?

Many thanks for any help given!

Matt

M

mdv

Yes at the point where the cuts join! I am cutting a square out of the corner of the tile but it's leaving a 49mm strip along the bottom edge and then approx 315mm of full tile!

W

White Room

Thats quite a weak area especially with such a thin cut on a tile and also the plaster sometimes cracks there if it's a float and set in older property's due to movement.

M

mdv

The crack that is appearing is very thin and starts at the corner if the cuts then diagonal to the base of the tile. Due to the way the window cill has been raised I can only fix tile adhesive to the lower half of the cut strip of tile so even though the strip is 49mm high adhesive only covers the lower 20-25mm of the tile.

Hope this makes sense!

M

mdv

Thats quite a weak area especially with such a thin cut on a tile and also the plaster sometimes cracks there if it's a float and set in older property's due to movement.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought it was quite weak. Is there anyway around it? Flexible adhesive? Or do I have to get more drastic?

S

Stef

If it's only 49mm I think it will probably always break.
Make them extra grout lines to try & take your eye off of it..

M

mdv

If it's only 49mm I think it will probably always break.
Make them extra grout lines to try & take your eye off of it..

To add to the complication it is a brick pattern and if I add it as a grout line it will be offset from the below grout line by approx 20mm! So will prob look awful!

W

White Room

You could do 2 diagonal cuts from the corners of the cill to corner of the tile your fixing or use some fleece tanking membrane under the tile on the weak area...

M

mdv

You could do 2 diagonal cuts from the corners of the cill to corner of the tile your fixing or use some fleece tanking membrane under the tile on the weak area...

Diagonal cuts seems interesting, although I am struggling to picture how it would work?

Reply to Cut ceramic tiles cracking after adhesive is set in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks