Search the forum,

Discuss Customer has PLY thickness issues! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bobbin

Turning into a problem this, I have a customer who wants there kitchen (open plan) to be tiled. This a new extension and the dinning room has been laid with oak floor so the tiles need to meet up to it!
The kitchen has a chipboard floor screwed into floor joists, so this leaves about a 20mm drop from the edge of the oak floor.
The problem is I think the floor will need to be plyed with 18mm to ensure it doesn't flex in the future, the kitchen is about 9m square. So with the tiles on top (600 square porcelain) this brings the kitchen floor a lot higher than the oak floor, there's the problem :mad2:

What would you guys do?

Do you ever get this when doing a quote and you explain that you will need to ply the existing floor and raise it 18mm before you even lay a tile to ensure the tiles stay where you put them?
There is always a problem of either meeting a carpet, or the door won't open due to the height etc.

Help as always is much appreciated :grouphug:

C

charlie1

Ask Darren from NETT, he knows about a ply substatute that is a lot thiner than ply (4 mm) i think.

Good luck.

B

bobbin

4mm, that can't be strong enough to prevent flex can it? if it can it must be silly priced!
Cheers for the advice though mate.

G

grumpygrouter

Ask Darren from NETT, he knows about a ply substatute that is a lot thiner than ply (4 mm) i think.

Good luck.
You will be talking about "No More Ply". Said by the rep on here to be a full strength substitute for 18mm ply but as yet we have seen no written evidence that it does so, only what has been written in marketing literature.

It may be better to use 12mm ply and use the likes of Fastflex or Ardex-flex 7001. Schluter also do a very good "movable" transition which will help reduce the "step" to a slope.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bobbin

Cheers guys, it's a pain most of the time! Have you tiled straight onto chipboard before, after screwing in and priming, I have done it my own shower room as a test about two years ago and not a single problem. I wonder if all this 18mm ply is just a bit over kill sometimes. I mean if you screw enough turbo gold screws into the chipboard, the only way it will move is if the house falls down!

T

tkm18

Cheers guys, it's a pain most of the time! Have you tiled straight onto chipboard before, after screwing in and priming, I have done it my own shower room as a test about two years ago and not a single problem. I wonder if all this 18mm ply is just a bit over kill sometimes. I mean if you screw enough turbo gold screws into the chipboard, the only way it will move is if the house falls down!

Im of the same opinion, but BS's are 18m so some folk like to stick with that.

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Ive used No More Ply several times and it does the job, 6mm thick and easy to use, avoids a lot of hieght issues.
Home
I get it from Tile depot at about 10 quid a sheet trade.

G

grumpygrouter

Im of the same opinion, but BS's are 18m so some folk like to stick with that.
This BS is for situations for strengthening a floor, not just "if it is chipboard it needs to be over boarded" per se.

The main issue with chipboard is the fact that it can be very unstable with moisture. Ply is also unstable with moisture but less so.

If a floor meets BS for deflection then there is no real need to overboard with 18mm ply as it does nothing but add cost and give a step to deal with. If on the other hand the there is issues with the chipboard getting wet, then you have another issue entirely. There are adhesives that have been developed to cater for tiling straight onto chipboard and other timber based substrates (i am not talking floating floors here) and can rightly be used if conditions are right. Some guys on here will not do it and some will. it is down to the guy on the ground at the time to make a judgement call as to which way to go.

These are my own opinions and NOT necessarily that of this forum, I may add.

T

tkm18

This BS is for situations for strengthening a floor, not just "if it is chipboard it needs to be over boarded" per se.

The main issue with chipboard is the fact that it can be very unstable with moisture. Ply is also unstable with moisture but less so.

If a floor meets BS for deflection then there is no real need to overboard with 18mm ply as it does nothing but add cost and give a step to deal with. If on the other hand the there is issues with the chipboard getting wet, then you have another issue entirely. There are adhesives that have been developed to cater for tiling straight onto chipboard and other timber based substrates (i am not talking floating floors here) and can rightly be used if conditions are right. Some guys on here will not do it and some will. it is down to the guy on the ground at the time to make a judgement call as to which way to go.

These are my own opinions and NOT necessarily that of this forum, I may add.

I was talking generaly, not just about chipboard.

With experience you can generally judge what is needed when tiling a wooden floor, sometime nothing, sometimes just tightening up, sometimes overboarding.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
12mm hardibacker glued and screwed........leaving (If I read it right) 8mm for tile.......if 10mm tile.......are they gonna moan at 2mm height diff ?

Reply to Customer has PLY thickness issues! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen