Currently reading:
cracked floor tiles new build

Discuss cracked floor tiles new build in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
What is your obligation? I would personally say it's the tilers responsability to ensure the surface/substrate is suitably prepared to accept what you are fixing.

However, if the customer is that off your builders, and the builder contracted you to tile it as it stood then the onus is on him. As far as the customer goes. If you raised concerns before hand and was told to go ahead then i would hope you wrote into your quote "to tile onto wooden floor, floor to be prepared by 3rd part/builder" really depends what conversations you've had.

If the builder instructed you despite raised concerns, and you have it in writing you can breath a sigh of relief. If none of the above happened and you don't have anything in writing then i would say you you're obliged by your trade knowledge to ensure it was done correctly.

S

Spud

Neil if its any consilation its only a few years ago that 6mm ply wood overlay over chipboard fixed with ring shank nails was an acceptable fixing method from the tile association I tiled over it many times in the past ,this doesnt help you in your situation if its just a couple of bathroom floors I would bite the bullet and change them it will be good for your relationship with the builder and next time he asks you to do something you can insist on belt and braces and he wont be able to argue it

Reply to cracked floor tiles new build in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement