Search the forum,

Discuss cost to you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

whats the biggest mistake or accident that has cost you money when doing a job?

The reason i ask is that i stepped back of my little portable platform and omto the customers new toilet seat and went right through it,last week...cheap and nasty toilet seat..i did however own up to it and took money off the bill to pay for it.:oops:

L

Leatherface

Was trimming down a door, solid wood ( can't remember what kind ) , cut the top off by mistake, cost me £200. :oops:

B

brian c

yeah done the opposite and took to much off the bottom...lol

its only a light hearted thread so i hope no one says they dont make mistakes...lets share our misfortunes and have a laugh and someone elses expense....

Last edited by a moderator:
A

alex1963

my first polished porc floor,little bit of slumping and a very fussy customer and others trying to be "helpfull" a$ 13000

B

brian c

my first polished porc floor,little bit of slumping and a very fussy customer and others trying to be "helpfull" a$ 13000
ooohhhh thats sore...bit of a dent in the wallet Alex...did you claim your insurance/stupid question really as im sure you did.

D

david campbell

bought 2 bags of rapid set and 2 bags of flexi,2 floors 2 seperate days and guess what,realised i'd used the flexi on the 1st day instead of the 2nd,phoned the customer on the night i had layed the floor,she agreed to wait and see what happened,low and behold 4 weeks later i was forking out £130 to replace the tiles add on price of addy&grout and the day it took me to lift,ply the floor and relay,expensive mistake,now i always triple check what i'm using!:oops:

R

Rob Z

Some years back, I hired a guy for full time that I knew pretty well and had worked for me at various times over the past few years before that. I had a simple basement bath to tile, basic 4 1/4" X 4 1/4" tiles on the wall of the tub surround and on the floor of the bathroom. I was with my other full-timer on another job, and figured this new guy could handle this one without me (you gotta let go at some time, right? you can't do it all yourself, right? )

So, I went over everything with him, layout, etc., and sent him over to the job. I called him at lunch to check on his progress.

Me: "Hey man, how's it going over there?"

"Just fine, I'm almost finished"

Me: "Almost finished? Finished with the back wall of the tub?"

"no, almost finished with the bathroom"

Me: "Almost finished with the tile in the tub surround?"

"No, the entire bathroom. I'm going to leave for the day, and will come back tomorrow and do the cuts."

Me: :yikes::yikes::yikes:

So, my helper and I go over there the next day to witness this debacle. The new guy had set all the full tile on the walls and the floor, intending on setting the cuts later. The only problem was that he didn't line up the joints from one wall to the next, and these tile were the self-spacing type and he got them so close that tiles wouldn't fit into the space that was left even if the lines were right. He somehow had set about 120 sq feet of tile in about 3 hours!

We tore the entire thing out and sent it to the dumpster. :incazzato::incazzato:

I ended up figuring that it cost me something like $2000, by the time I paid for all the material, all the labor, and the overtime that I paid because we had to do the work on a weekend to stay on schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to cost to you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen