Currently reading:
Cost of materials..

Search the forum,

Discuss Cost of materials.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

I don't take money upfront however when I am supplying materials ( with a mark up) that have to be ordered in I always qoute by e-mail and insist the customer confirm the order by reply. However I've been bitten a couple of time recently when the jobs have been delayed and I've had to pay for materials before the works have been completed and paid for though for one of them I was covered for the materials on delay.

I'm now considering taking a deposit.

T

Time's Ran Out

As a Tiler - Once you have fixed the tiles you have no recourse to your money! So if your nice customer does not like the tiles (don't go with her curtains when you see them en masse) she may not pay!
Just go to ASDA and get your food shopping and tell them you will pay if you like the taste!
For me no material money - no job.
What I will say however is I will provide a discount to my customer and deliver the tiles to site straight away so they are correct for when the job is to be started.

I always get the materials money up front at least 10 days before the start date, in case they pay by cheque:thumbsup:

At the e

nd of the day, if the customer went into a supplier and bought the stuff themselves, they would have to pay for it before they were given the materials:thumbsup:

As a Tiler - Once you have fixed the tiles you have no recourse to your money! So if your nice customer does not like the tiles (don't go with her curtains when you see them en masse) she may not pay!
Just go to ASDA and get your food shopping and tell them you will pay if you like the taste!
For me no material money - no job.
What I will say however is I will provide a discount to my customer and deliver the tiles to site straight away so they are correct for when the job is to be started

Spot on TJ.

I remember doing a little job last year for a barber, got finished and told him how much i wanted (I'd only been there a couple of hours so no need to quote the job first). Anyway he turns round and says 'No problem I'll post a cheque out! 4 weeks I waited for £50!! Imagine what he would have said if I suggested posting HIM a cheque after getting my hair cut??

Last edited:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
if the customer dosn't like the tiles they have chosen then thats not down to me.

all tiles are checked by the costomer prior to fixing to make sure everthing is present and correct if in the very unlikely event they dont like the tiles enmasse and refuse to pay then this has no reflection on the fixing which i have been contracted to do and they must pay for, as for the tiles would asda refund you for a telly if you didnt like the colour that you had chosen?

Reply to Cost of materials.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.