Search the forum,

Discuss Confused-Keraflex maxi on ply- Do I need to prime?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cundick

Hi
Hope someone can resolve my question.

I am laying my first floor.
I have overboarded with 9mm ply onto approx 22mm long strips of chipboard. Very solid.
Screwed down every 150mm and 100mm at joints.

I have Keraflex Maxi to lay 300 x 600 porcelin tiles.
I alway intended to prime the top of the ply before laying the tiles,
however I was told when purchasing the adhesive there was no need to prime the top of the ply.

I was just about to start laying the tiles, but the question of whether I should prime or not is still a concern.

Please can someone confirm which way to go and if I have o prime what would you recommens

Steve

D

DHTiling

Hi steve..welcome...

Priming ply is not nornally needed....But on that thickness of ply the moisture in the keraflex maxi might buckle it , as the maxi is slow setting..

An S2 fast set would be better.. IMO..to thin

C

cundick

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

A bit concerned in what you have said about the ply buckling.
Would primming help the situation?
If so what do you recommend.

Steve

P

Perry

no i think the ply to thin and the slowset will let to much moisture into the ply

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

You will be better of using a tile backer board rather than the ply but if you insist on ply then it should be 18mm thick and primed on the under side and the edges.

N

nudge

since the ply has already been layed prior to the question being asked i would suggest using the Mapegum wps before the Maxi to be sure - but if you could get the Primer S it would also be more than suitable.

Reply to Confused-Keraflex maxi on ply- Do I need to prime?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen