Search the forum,

Discuss Chipboard ditra in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Hi There.

I always hardiebacker chipboard floors but possible on this occasion i may need to use just Ditra.

Would Ditra direct to a chipboard floor be fine if there is no deflection anyone thinks.

Cheers.

Kevin

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I used it once on a very small en-suite Kev, due to various issues, it was less than 1m x 2m. It worked fine. Did it over 3 years ago and still do work for the customer and always ask if the floor is ok. Tiles are still stuck well and solid. Like you said though, make sure floor is deflection free first as the ditra will not compensate for that.

K

kaharrison9

This will be over a very large area.

Just a bit of forward thinking before i get the full details.

Not to keen on the thought of trusting adhesive keying to chipboard.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hope it's not 6mm chipboard... ;p

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This will be over a very large area.

Just a bit of forward thinking before i get the full details.

Not to keen on the thought of trusting adhesive keying to chipboard.

On a big area I wouldn't go down this route Kev, as you said overboard first. I wouldn't do this normally but customer was willing to take the risk as it was only a very small area, even though I tried as much to convince him otherwise. In fact thinking about it, it was nearer 5 years ago.

I

ioannis

When a floor where Ditra was used showed micro cracking Ditra said they recommended using 15mm wbp, in other words 18mm wbp as 15 is not availible. Since then, in cases such as yours i always just use 18mm or 22mm wbp with no ditra. Never had a failiure. Also when i spoke to Ditra they told me that a single tile cannot be 'knocked out', say if the customer chips one, for fear of disrupting surrounding tiles. Over all, but especially with the 15mm bit, i hardly ever find a good reason to use it.

Reply to Chipboard ditra in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen