Search the forum,

Discuss Cheap Floor insulation board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

daz

Hi. Got to tile my parents kitchen/ utility room as part of a building project for them. I do quite a bit of tiling as part of my general building work but never used insulation board yet. Just wondering if anyone has used THERM-A-MAT insulation board available from E-bay shop at £3.99 a sheet. Was about to order Fastwarm product until i saw this. Any experience anyone?

In fact any advice on whether installing 6 - 10mm board over existing concrete and screed slab but with no UFH, will have much insulating effect on finished tiled floor? It's about 35m2 of flooring(31x45 trav. effect Padova 80 laid brick style) and whilst not all of it would need UFH (only 11m2) it will make the tiling job easier and quicker if they don't install the heating. not to mention the added cost of the UFH itself. I must admit I hate tiling over heating cables. So as a compromise i suggested putting these boards down. Any advice or comments welcome.

Thx:yes:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Daz, welcome to the forums as I never greeted you previously. I have no experience of the mat you are talking about but there would be no problem tiling onto it as that is waht it is designed for.

I don't think you will get much benefit from it without having cales underneath as the tiles will still only be at air temprature unless the sun shines on them!

I overlay heating cables with SLC before tiling, it makes it much easier and protects the cables form trowel damage.:thumbsup:

Grumpy

D

daz

thx Grumpy. Have ordered a sample of the cheap insulation today. Tried to get sample of the fastwarm board too to compare but were very unhelpful company saying they don't send out samples and they have no stockists to go and see it either. They lost a sale then.

Appreciate comment on UFH but am really tight for levels and by using SLC i'll loose precious mm's. It's not a cold room so should be ok. Apparently, (so tells me the manufacturer of the insulation), that the board alone will raise the floor temp by roughly 3 degrees. Concerned also about possibilty of broken/chipped tiles that might in time need to be replaced in a busy kitchen. As you know this would very probably damage cables, possibly even if enbedded in SLC. Take on board that would be easier to tile on though for future projects.

regards
daz

G

grumpygrouter

You shouldn't lose any extra mm with slc. Just apply it and smooth to the top of the cables. Just stops the trowel getting caught and damaging something!

grumpy

D

DHTiling

I can't see any point in using insulation boards with out UFH.....IMO..

Just buy them a nice furry pair of slippers much cheaper.........:thumbsup:

D

daz

Thx for advice. mabe slippers would be the better option although discovered today after taking up old lino and cork tiles that there is a massive hump in the floor, rasising it 6-8mm high and running for about 1.5mtrs. Thought if nothing else laying the the boards around the raised area and infilling with SLC would avoid having to chop up floor or using loads of adhesive. What do you experts think? I guess a cheaper option, though with no insulating properties, would be to lay 6mm ply. Could that be fixed to floor with adhesive as screed is never good for fixing into?
Got that sample of insulation btw. Looks very basic but got nothing to compare it with. Just blue very light compressed polyurathane type stuff. sound familiar?
Look forward to your replies.:thumbsup:

C

chille

Hi Daz if it was me then I would chop the majority of the bump out then self level it. By the time you buy ply and fix it down, then level out to the high point, along with having to use flexi addy, chopping out and leveling is probably cheaper.

G

Grace'sDad

It's about 35m2 of flooring(31x45 trav. effect Padova 80 laid brick style)

Quick word of advice mate: Check the print quality on these tiles carefully. About 50% of the last lot I fixed were mis-printed. The print made you feel drunk and squiffy-eyed!

D

daz

Quick word of advice mate: Check the print quality on these tiles carefully. About 50% of the last lot I fixed were mis-printed. The print made you feel drunk and squiffy-eyed!

Thx Grace' Dad. Can I ask where you got them from? Got a couple of samples of the Padova 80 and a porceline equivalent coming direct from manufacturer via an online store at half the Topps price. Guy assured me they are not bowed or seconds. thx

Reply to Cheap Floor insulation board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen