Search the forum,

Discuss Cheap ceramic tiles. Do they differ in size??? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Well honesty is the best way so don't be shy. I 'got over it' but just wanted to check opinions and take advice generally. Yes I have been spoilt until my contracts manager found the worst batch of porcelanosa tiles that were 'bent like bananas'. Site agent called bullshit and we had to physically put 2 tiles back to back and showed him. The were rolling across the face of each other. Nightmare for lips.

T

Tile Shop

Its hard to understand given the modern manufacturing processes, how tiles can vary in size by such an amount. I know its tempting to say "I refuse to fit them", but unfortunately, depending on the tiles nominal size, 3mm may very well be within BSEN14411 tolerance and therefore classed as First Quality. A bit of extra work may be involve to gauge the tiles to avoid any sudden issues arising. But checking tiles before fixing has been mentioned before and the overall response was "not my job to check". All you can do is explain to the customer that the grout joints need to be widened to cater for it. They'll either say carry on or ask you to stop.

The most ridiculous refusal of fitting I've come across was for a 100x100 wall tile. We got told they were different sizes. We checked random tiles from the batch with a Vernier Caliper..... the difference between the smallest and the largest was 0.58mm!!! Tiler reckoned they were impossible to fit...... Really? 0.58mm? Look at a tape measure and see how big that actually is! He wouldn't have it, so the customer got a new tiler and he fitted it, no problem.

There is a sizing margin and always will be. Never expect perfection and you won't be disappointed. Just enjoy the bonus if you get it :)

Reply to Cheap ceramic tiles. Do they differ in size??? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen