Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cheap ceramic tiles. Do they differ in size??? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, newbie posting for first time.
If been tiling for 2 years now mainly on site with 300x600 ceramic wall tiles and 600x600 porcelain floor tiles from porcelanosa. Never have any problems.
On the weekend I took on a private job where tiles were supplied. Cheap ceramic wall tiles from wickes. Full height and as normal I set out from the bath working out cuts to the floor and ceiling. I use a lazer to get perfect levels. By the time I was a few courses of tiles in I was struggling to use spacers. The tiles just wouldn't fit anymore. Don't get me wrong once grouted it won't look bad at all but being an every day tiler it bothers me.
Are these tiles varying in size to some degree?
Has anyone had experiences of tiles running out of alignment?

Cheers!

Rick-o

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I do find some cheap ceramics vary a little, had some last year that had differences of 1mm or so and some were out of square.. Also some sloped up towards the back.. With a laser and wedges it was fine though it took a bit longer than expected to complete!

Reaction score
Cheers rick-o. I used cardboard instead of spacers in the end. Was beating myself up about it so just wanted to check it wasn't just me. Instead of doing walls in a day I allowed 2 in order to get the job done and move on

Last edited:

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wickes tiles ate all on a cheap biscuit then jumble batched, I refuse to lay them now, have had some may issue with differing sizes, not the some cheap ceramics are better from elsewhere mind

L

LM

Unfortunately @Jason cherry youve been spoilt for so long using what are in my opinion some of the best tiles made. It's not a rule of thumb that if they cost more they're better some of the worst tiles I've had to fit have been Villeroy and Boch and they re by no means cheap, other factories like Imola aren't cheap either and they can be very hit or miss depending on the range and factories like Johnstone's and BCT are guarantied to be cr*p. When you get out and bout more working with the trash that is produced these days then you'll gain the experience to do what @timeless john has said and know what you can work with or when to refuse to use them!

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yea I agree john, but I got few up of getting over it, on so many jobs that I know just refuse to use them generally, prob always the answer but in my home town so many people are out to save a bit and then you get job after job of the same wicked crap, in the I've just had enough

mma

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I used some Wickes tiles on a bathroom, backend of last year. Not too sizey, but bent like bananas, brick bond pattern. Lovely!

Reaction score
Well honesty is the best way so don't be shy. I 'got over it' but just wanted to check opinions and take advice generally. Yes I have been spoilt until my contracts manager found the worst batch of porcelanosa tiles that were 'bent like bananas'. Site agent called bullshit and we had to physically put 2 tiles back to back and showed him. The were rolling across the face of each other. Nightmare for lips.

T

Tile Shop

Its hard to understand given the modern manufacturing processes, how tiles can vary in size by such an amount. I know its tempting to say "I refuse to fit them", but unfortunately, depending on the tiles nominal size, 3mm may very well be within BSEN14411 tolerance and therefore classed as First Quality. A bit of extra work may be involve to gauge the tiles to avoid any sudden issues arising. But checking tiles before fixing has been mentioned before and the overall response was "not my job to check". All you can do is explain to the customer that the grout joints need to be widened to cater for it. They'll either say carry on or ask you to stop.

The most ridiculous refusal of fitting I've come across was for a 100x100 wall tile. We got told they were different sizes. We checked random tiles from the batch with a Vernier Caliper..... the difference between the smallest and the largest was 0.58mm!!! Tiler reckoned they were impossible to fit...... Really? 0.58mm? Look at a tape measure and see how big that actually is! He wouldn't have it, so the customer got a new tiler and he fitted it, no problem.

There is a sizing margin and always will be. Never expect perfection and you won't be disappointed. Just enjoy the bonus if you get it :)

Reply to Cheap ceramic tiles. Do they differ in size??? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks