Discuss Ceramic Tiles Lifting after 7 Years in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

clareewilliams

Can anyone give any advice please.
We bought a new house 7 years ago and lived in it for 5 years and then rented it out.
After 2 years with the same tenants they called us to say that some of the kitchen tiles were lifting.

Our immediate thoughts were subsidence or water so we rushed down to check it.

There are 14 tiles that are lifting and so we pulled one up to see what was underneath. There was no sign of water and no sign of cracking in the the concrete below.

I have noticed that the tiles are pretty close together with not much grout between.

Can anyone think of what could have caused this.

The problem we are faced with is that the tile has been discontinued and so we could either patch it up with a different shade of tile but this would not look great
as it is in the centre of a large kitchen or we will have to replace the whole lot. If the insurance company gets involved they need to know what has caused it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

As said above, pictures speak volumes.

When you say not much of a grout joint, can you measure it or give a guide in a pic with say a coin on edge, could be deflection / movement, might be something else, do you know what materials were used to fix and grout at the time ?

G

Gazzer

BS say 3mm minimum joint on floor.
Is this a heated floor ?
How big is the area and are there any expansion joint either through the tile or around the perimeter ?

C

clareewilliams

BS say 3mm minimum joint on floor.
Is this a heated floor ?
How big is the area and are there any expansion joint either through the tile or around the perimeter ?

Thanks for your response.

The floor doesn't have underfloor heating just normal radiator central heating.

The area is approx 4m x 9m.

I am going down to the house shortly with a tiler so I will ask him about the expansion joint etc.

C

clareewilliams

Thanks for your response.

I am going to the house shortly with a tiler so I will take some photos.

I don't know what materials were used to fix and grout and our builders aren't being very helpful.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
On a floor that size I would have put one in, see what you find when you get there, and some pictures would be an advantage, also see what your tiler has to say.

G

Gazzer

Is this a localised area where the tiles have debonded or are there any other areas.
Its hard to say which materials to use before knowing the cause .

C

clareewilliams

It is a localised area where the tiles have lifted. Pretty much the centre of the room.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
see if the floor has any slc, i had one a couple of months ago, house was about the same age, the slc had failed where the builders hadn't primed the floor, the tiles were stuck to the slc but it was coming away from the floor, and the first areas to fail are the main bits that are walked on..

C

clareewilliams

Thanks for your advice. I will see what the tiler thinks when he looks at it but my feeling is that you are probably right.

C

clareewilliams

Thanks for all your responses they have all been really helpful.
We have just had a tiler to look at the problem and he said there were 3 issues:
1. The tiles were too close together 3mm at the top but at the bottom they would probably be closer
2. The grout did not look like flexible grout
3. There was not enough adhesive

Phoned NHBC who said they don't cover anything but structure after 2 years.
Going to try the insurance company but don't rate my chances.

I will think before buying another Anwyl house and only buy new if I can see the house finished!!

Reply to Ceramic Tiles Lifting after 7 Years in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay