Search the forum,

Discuss centered floor layout? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

@Hornviper - what could be the good reason for not setting out correctly and if you don’t care why ask for advice?
Not sure what your thread is trying to clarify!

D

Dumbo

I did not in any way, shape or form say that they were bad, so I am not knocking them. The ones I worked with weren't fond of balanced layouts and probably with good reason. I probably shouldn't care too much about setting out and all, but I guess I am too freaking dumb.
The reason I say this is I know some guys that have worked in Germany and they reckon they are definitely some of the best tilers in the world .

Reaction score
The reason I say this is I know some guys that have worked in Germany and they reckon they are definitely some of the best tilers in the world .

Different strokes for different folks. There's nothing wrong with that. Personally I think that a lot of thought and attention to detail go into what you guys do and I do respect that. So my hat's off to all of you.

Reaction score
@Hornviper - what could be the good reason for not setting out correctly and if you don’t care why ask for advice?
Not sure what your thread is trying to clarify!

No need for exclamation marks and angry remarks, John. I am not here to argue with people. As I said, I am still learning. I like to take my time and come up with at least a decent layout. A few local pros have told me that centering my work and not starting with a full tile off a wall that's crooked (or a corner) is a bad idea. More cuts and work. I guess I just want to know what exactly I am doing wrong. I didn't mean to get on your wick.

Reaction score
Going of a wall is usually a bad idea as they are not normally straight ,Corners are never usually square but other than that there is more to setting out than finding the centre of a room .

I never said that finding the center of the room is the be all and end all of tiling. There's more to it, I agree wholeheartedly. There are a lot of old masonry walls in our houses (especially in mine as it was built in 1924) which are anything but straight, so you get the picture.
Symmetry is a great thing if it's visible. I've got a nasty V-shaped corner gap (crooked corners) in one of my bathrooms. I might be able to take a pic or two tomorrow.

Again, my apologies. I didn't mean to annoy you. Peace.

Last edited:
S

Spare Tool

A laser or chalk line down the centre of your room squared off to the longest sighting wall is always a good place to start though, then see how things pan out from there...

Reaction score
A laser or chalk line down the centre of your room squared off to the longest sighting wall is always a good place to start though, then see how things pan out from there...

That's what I normally aim to do. Thank you for your time and help, and I hope this thread hasn't upset all of you. I will not be posting any other threads, so everything should be okay.

Thank you and good night from me. God bless.

I

Italy

to learn something else, then I must also register in a German forum.....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Always try and centre the main focal point, and square off a wall that follows your eye line.
This multi room job was all centred off the hallway, as this was the main focal point as soon as you opened the front door.

20170518_131152.jpg

20170518_130125.jpg

Reply to centered floor layout? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen