Search the forum,

Discuss centered floor layout? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I don't mind starting with a full tile at the doorway or in one of the distant corners but if the area that's being tiled is out of square I might find myself up the stream without a paddle. I've seen that happen several times but a lot of people don't care. And probably rightfully so.

I've only helped other tilers and I am not a pro, as you can see. I only know what looks good to me and what doesn't.

Reaction score
I worked for him for a few months. He used to find the center points of all four walls and snap lines. (so there's a cross in the middle of the room) Then he would make sure the intersecting lines formed a 90 degree angle. That's why I was a little surprised when I went to Germany. No one cared. No measuring or worrying about small cuts, symmetry, balanced cuts, etc. The only problem was that most rooms weren't perfectly square.

T

Time's Ran Out

@Hornviper - I see from your November welcome that you are young and new to tiling!
My advice would be to forget the habits of those you’ve seen who ‘don’t care’ and learn this trade correctly.
You’ll never work on a building site in Britain ( as you have no location in your profile) if you don’t set a room out symmetrically. Architects and designers have no tolerances for the aesthetics of tile spacing, pattern continuation etc. IMHO .
In the private contract market a skilled tiler will spend a good length of time setting out the room prior to fixing their first tile so they know where every tile will finish.

Reaction score
Good to know, John. I know that most/all of you don't mind going through the hassle of measuring, squaring things up and basically doing what you think is best. I wanted to learn to tile the UK way as I respect what you guys do, but I never got to work with a British tiler. I live in the EU and things are different. I just don't like the idea of starting somewhere and hoping for the best or saying "well that's how they fit". I know a few people who work in the UK (in the private contract market) and symmetry is the last thing on their mind. The currency exchange rates are more important but anyway... :) I don't want to be like them and I hope there's nothing wrong with that. I know who I want to learn from.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good to know, John. I know that most/all of you don't mind going through the hassle of measuring, squaring things up and basically doing what you think is best. I wanted to learn to tile the UK way as I respect what you guys do, but I never got to work with a British tiler. I live in the EU and things are different. I just don't like the idea of starting somewhere and hoping for the best or saying "well that's how they fit". I know a few people who work in the UK (in the private contract market) and symmetry is the last thing on their mind. The currency exchange rates are more important but anyway... :) I don't want to be like them and I hope there's nothing wrong with that. I know who I want to learn from.
You have come to the right place

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

@Hornviper - I see from your November welcome that you are young and new to tiling!
My advice would be to forget the habits of those you’ve seen who ‘don’t care’ and learn this trade correctly.
You’ll never work on a building site in Britain ( as you have no location in your profile) if you don’t set a room out symmetrically. Architects and designers have no tolerances for the aesthetics of tile spacing, pattern continuation etc. IMHO .
In the private contract market a skilled tiler will spend a good length of time setting out the room prior to fixing their first tile so they know where every tile will finish.
Good call TJ spot on.

D

Dumbo

I'm not being funny but the next time you are in Germany maybe you should find some German tilers and see what they are doing .

Reaction score
I'm not being funny but the next time you are in Germany maybe you should find some German tilers and see what they are doing .

I did not in any way, shape or form say that they were bad, so I am not knocking them. The ones I worked with weren't fond of balanced layouts and probably with good reason. I probably shouldn't care too much about setting out and all, but I guess I am too freaking dumb.

Reply to centered floor layout? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen