Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Snowfrog

I'm currently just over half way through having some tiling done with travertine tiles and have noticed that the tiler appears to have 'grouted' with tile adhesive, as the limestone grout I've bought for the job has not been opened. I presume there is a reason that you don't just use tile adhesive for the job and if so, what is it, so I can tell the tiler tomorrow?

He told me he's grouted, but I think he must have just smoothed off what's come up around the tiles when he's placed them down. With one thing or another, I'm having a nightmare. :(

J

john32145

So what colour is the adhesive? And is he a tiler or is he just doing the tiling as well as other things? no reason he should do that especially when u already bought the grout.

S

Snowfrog

Hi, the adhesive is white. He's supposed to be a tiler, so I've no idea why he's done what he's done, unless it was just for ease as maybe he used too much adhesive. I've no idea really, all I know is I've got two large bags of grout that haven't been touched.

C

Colour Republic

Hi Snowfrog,

Before we make any assumptions that they have used adhesive could you tell us the name and type of grout that you had bought. It maybe that the tiler used another grout because he felt the type supplied was unsuitable.

He shouldn't have used adhesive and it would have been alot harder to do so. So i'm guessing he didn't

Also, did you supply the adhesive? and if so, again what was it?:thumbsup:

S

Snowfrog

Hi Colour Republic, I've just noticed that the adhesive is supposed to be an adhesive and grout. It's Larsen Professional Flexible Fast Set tile adhesive and grout. The grout is Stone Fix, for natural stone wall and floor, in limestone colour. I got everything from the place I got the tiles. They told me what I needed and what quantities I needed for the amount of tiles.

Even if this is okay as grout, it means that he's not used the grout I got for the job and perhaps I won't have enough adhesive. What do you think?

C

Colour Republic

hmmmm I can't find the product you are refering to, I can find Larsen Professional Flexible Fast Set tile adhesive but not an adhesive AND grout version.

I can't really comment on that product because I haven't used it before but in general I wouldn't use any multi purpose adhesive/Grout

C

Colour Republic

Also you say the addy is white and I assume you wanted limestone joints, so are you saying that you now have white joints? If so that's not on because you wanted something else

S

Snowfrog

On this bag, The 'flexible fast set', is is big bold white writing on a red background. It says 'tile adhesive & grout' in much smaller orange writing, just below the word professional.

C

Colour Republic

S

Snowfrog

Yes, I wanted limestone joints. I can't wait for it to all be over, he keeps making mistakes. Although the travertine tiles were supposed to be first grade, I found a huge variation in the quality, the amount of filler and general look. I spent ages this weekend sorting through them all, picking out the best ones, (as I'd ordered extra to allow for breakages, cuts etc.), then sealed the ones I wanted used, so the tiler wouldn't mark them when he was walking on them as he was laying them. So what did he do, but use the tiles I'd put aside, this despite my telling him explicitly which ones to use. I really felt like crying. I am not happy.

S

Snowfrog

It's this one I take it

Larsen Building Products - Products - Tiling - Manufacturer, Supplier of Concrete, Mortar and Plaster, Tiling, Flooring, Waterproofing, Timber and Filling and Sealing products based in Northern Ireland.

Even though it says adhesive and grout in small letters on the bag I can't find any info on the data sheet that suggests it can be used as such, I'm wondering if those words are relating to the types of product Larsen make rather than the uses of the contents?

Yep, that's the one. Would it be possible to dig that out and re grout, do you think?

G

Gazzer

I cant see where it says grout ?? It says Grout after 2 hours!!!

Sounds like this tiler need a swift kick up the back side and out the building.

C

Colour Republic

I'm really sorry you've had these problems. It sounds like a headache from start to finish and sealing should be the resposibility of the tiler not yours. If the guy is making such mistakes I can only guess at the quailty of his work as it would appear he doesn't take much care.

How much of the floor has he laid? If it's not a lot it may be worth starting again with someone else, I know you won't want to hear that but in the long run it would be better to finish with a floor that you are happy with and may have to look at for years to come. It is possible to dig out the adhesive but it's not going to be easy and could cause some damage if not done with care.

Do you have any pictures you could upload?

Sorry I couldn't be more positive:oops:

Reply to Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks