Discuss Build Work - Cracked tiles Help Please ! in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DAK

We have had a single story extension done to our house which has left a 40M2 kitchen area which we have tiled. The problem is that the tiles and grout have cracked in line with the wooden joists which are under the floor.

In terms of the build my understanding is the following:

- Wooden joists are in place under the floor with some noggins and two areas where it is bricked to re-inforce. There is concrete underneath the joists.

- On top of the joists are insulation and then underfloor heating has been laid on top of this

- Chipboard engineering grade tongue and groove chipboard has then been put down to board out and has been screwed in (this and all of the above was the responsibility of the builder)

- The tiler has then laid and (I think) used adhesive to stick down a Ditra mat then laid the tiles on top using flexible adhesive and fully buttering the tiles.

The tiles and grout have cracked in parallel over where the joists appear to be - we now have a situation whereby the structural engineer has looked and said he doesn't think it is down to deflection from floor as the tiles are cracked along the line of the joists rather than horizontally across the tile (see pictures attached). so we are re-laying some tiles and re-testing if there was some settling movement. Personally I think the floor is a little 'bouncy' but given the structural engineer has said he doesn't think it is down to the building work the builder thinks he has delivered.

Would a layer of plywood or cement board on top of the chipboard have helped here?

Other suggestions welcome and appreciated and apologies for the long post !

Cracked Tile 1.jpg Cracked tile 2.jpg

B

Bill

Those tiles are ceramic from British Ceramic Tiles.....

Another one bites the dust.

The tiles are not suitable for your project. Yes, the tiler could have laid cement construction boards on top of the chip board and that may have helped but the crack is mainly due to the tiles not being strong enough for flooring.

Reply to Build Work - Cracked tiles Help Please ! in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks