Search the forum,

Discuss Bridging gap between inner and outer wall to tile on in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

slicendice

Hi everyone

Total newbie and DIY dunce here so apologies for what will undoubtedly be a lot of novice and/or rather silly questions! :D

My kitchen needs tiling and in getting the old tiles/adhesive off the window sill, it became apparent that the plaster underneath the sill tiles was in a bit of a shocking state to the extent that there ended up being some pretty big holes in it which go into the cavity in between the inner and outer walls. Rather than try and do multitudinous patches/bodges, it seemed more sensible to just get rid of all the old plaster and start from stratch. Consequently there's now a gap between the the outer wall (with the window in) and the inner wall that needs to be tiled over in order to form the sill.

What's the best way of bridging this gap such that it can then be tiled on in order to create the window sill? One suggestion that's been made is to attach a wooden plank to the inner wall that is wide enough to bridge the gap; this can then be PVA'd and plastered onto before putting tiles on top of this new plaster. Is that feasible/sensible? Or would it be better to use plaster board? Any other options?

And on a slightly different but not unrelated subject...how long should one leave plaster before it can be tiled on? I've had a look round online and opinions seem vary from "you'll be fine to do it after a day or two" right the way up to "you need to leave it for two or three weeks"! Is there a definitive answer that I've managed to miss?

Thanks

S

Spare Tool

Definitely not a plank of wood, either moisture resistant plasterboard, or cement board to bridge your gap fixed with tile adhesive, this can be built up if you need to make the tile cut below the cill bigger.
Too many variables to give a defining answer on the plaster skim..

Reply to Bridging gap between inner and outer wall to tile on in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen