Search the forum,

Discuss Bitumin floor, to prime or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

I ripped mine up in my house, Old brown ex council type vinyl tiles with a flat bitumin adhesive. I used no primer but the bitumin was very thin and some screed was showing through used Soveriegn porcelflex. Have been down for over five years there not going anywhere, Yet??

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dock

phil
be careful!!

there are two types, either bitumen emulsion (water based) or bitumen solution (solvent based). The former is very soft and even with priming the normal shrinkage during the setting process of cement based adhesive is enough to pull the face off the bitumen producing hollow sounding debonded tiling. It is very difficult to scrape up but this must be done before priming and laying a two part leveling compound prior to fixing.

Bitumen solutions tend to go very brittle with time and their resultant adhesion to the substrate becomes poor. They are fairly easy to remove leaving a "stain" on the screed. Clean the area to remove, by chipping up all loose materials and prime with Eco Prim T then apply Latexplan before fixing in Keraquick

hope it goes well

dock

G

gazzauk

he could be talking about a solid bitumen (asphalt)floor done just like a screed floor.
i did one a couple year back and was advised by granfix to SPF and no primer.
as for the stuff under marley tiles,SPF and no primer,if its tacky and it rarely is you can dust it with SPF powder.
asphalt is cement and bitumen.

G

gazzauk

make sure you check for flatness, as this stuff is poured hot but it cools quickly so its hard to get really flat.

Reply to Bitumin floor, to prime or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen