Search the forum,

Discuss Bitumin floor, to prime or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dock

phil
be careful!!

there are two types, either bitumen emulsion (water based) or bitumen solution (solvent based). The former is very soft and even with priming the normal shrinkage during the setting process of cement based adhesive is enough to pull the face off the bitumen producing hollow sounding debonded tiling. It is very difficult to scrape up but this must be done before priming and laying a two part leveling compound prior to fixing.

Bitumen solutions tend to go very brittle with time and their resultant adhesion to the substrate becomes poor. They are fairly easy to remove leaving a "stain" on the screed. Clean the area to remove, by chipping up all loose materials and prime with Eco Prim T then apply Latexplan before fixing in Keraquick

hope it goes well

dock

Reply to Bitumin floor, to prime or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.