Search the forum,

Discuss bevel edge brick tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

we all know these tiles, 150 x 70, 15 mm ish bevel. I've done white before with white grout and silicon and black tiles with black grout and silicon. Currently doing black tiles with white grout. My concern is the corners where the gap fluctuates between 2 and about 4/5mm because of the bevel. White silicon is going to emphasise this (just picturing wavey line)so would black silicon mask the corner better or am I overthinking this

I've got a job coming up soon and the customer said he wants to use these tiles in his en-suite. Inevitably, that means sealing the 1200x900 shower enclosure to these tiles.

I tried to talk him out of it as I beleived they are kitchen tiles, and I can imagine sealing up the shower enclosure will be a pain for sure.

Anyone successfully managed to talk a customer round in this way? Or know of a job where it these tiles have been used?

Any tips appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks.

F

faithhealer

I've got a job coming up soon and the customer said he wants to use these tiles in his en-suite. Inevitably, that means sealing the 1200x900 shower enclosure to these tiles.

I tried to talk him out of it as I beleived they are kitchen tiles, and I can imagine sealing up the shower enclosure will be a pain for sure.

Anyone successfully managed to talk a customer round in this way? Or know of a job where it these tiles have been used?

Any tips appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I'm sure I've fitted a bath screen to these tiles before, always a good bead of silicon between rail and tile. Job I'm on as this monstosity of a border tile as well, sticks out 10 mm in places, might have to put a shower enclosure against that yet. (customer making it up as we go along!)

Re scribing, did the first one, missed the size by the width of the grout line and it fitted like a jigsaw piece. Goes without saying it looked neater and you soon get 'the knack'

U

united

I'm sure I've fitted a bath screen to these tiles before, always a good bead of silicon between rail and tile. Job I'm on as this monstosity of a border tile as well, sticks out 10 mm in places, might have to put a shower enclosure against that yet. (customer making it up as we go along!)

Re scribing, did the first one, missed the size by the width of the grout line and it fitted like a jigsaw piece. Goes without saying it looked neater and you soon get 'the knack'

Get some photos John :thumbsup:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford

John, what is this technique called scribing for silicone, I've never come across this term before.

Thanks faithhealer :thumbsup: And I like the tip about scribing. Can see that one being used on this job too. My faith is restored :smilewinkgrin:

In relation to your problem with the raised border, I would take the profile back with an angle grinder, or cut the border tile either side of the enclosure and insert a cut to size field tile. That should give you a flat gap in the border to fix the screen to. Hope that helps...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
I was actually shown it by a joiner when he was fitting a lamb tongue skirting board. Instead of an internal mitre, first S Board is fixed to the wall as we would a tile, then the matching sb or tile in our case is scribed to match the shape of the mating piece and cut to suit the shape. Hope thats clear ish

I get what you mean now, basically the tile is not cut straight across but cut matching the porfile of the tile it butts up against :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to bevel edge brick tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.