Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to get tile level with adjacent floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I wanted to have a wood floor in my living area and a tiled hallway. The whole ground floor was self levelled so nice flat even floor.

The wood floor has gone down, its total height is 19mm (15mm floor, 4mm underlay).

My tile is 450x450mm and 10.5mm thick, how can I make up this 8.5mm difference?
  • How thick can tile adhesive be? Can that be used to make up 8.5mm?
  • I thought about 6mm insulation board but then worried that the two layers of tile adhesive would make the tile too high?
  • I've also heard of these uncoupling membranes, like ditra, that are like 3mm thick.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Will you not be putting in a threshold strip between the wood and the tile?

Reaction score
Will you not be putting in a threshold strip between the wood and the tile?

Yea I'm planning to have a threshold to cover the expansion gap, but sorry missed that I'll have skirting boards either end running from the wood floor to the tile, so ideally needs to be flat.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Okay got ya.
I’d go with the decoup mat then. (There are cheaper versions than ditra eg dural.... And start tiling from the transition if it’s possible.

Reaction score
8.5mm to make up. A 12mm trowel will give a 6mm adhesive bed approx, which leaves 2.5mm to find. If it's already been self-levelled and is nice and flat I'd use a thin decoupling mat

Reply to Best way to get tile level with adjacent floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen