Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Apologies mods of this needs to go elsewhere.. please feel free to move it or bin it!

Riiiight.. here goes....

We've been in our first house nearly 2 years now. We've (well ... more like I'VE!) done everything else bar the bathroom. It's an old 1800's cottage so the bathroom was in a pretty bad way. Solidly built but nasty and OLD!

I decided a few weeks ago to RIP it out and start from the beginning.

First task was to move the hot water cylinder from in the bathroom to a new cupboard outside the room (thanks to Scruff from ultimatehandyman.co.uk for the advice!)

Now you see it...

7599aa0b.jpg

Now you dont!

984bc1db.jpg

Ive taken quite a lot out..

CARNAGE

6ea9c026.jpg

80443c6c.jpg

Well, I picked up a load of bits today..

Marmox goods and tiles!

dd3c2c45.jpg

25b0ec7e.jpg

57a0edf2.jpg

98dac92b.jpg

8fe80143.jpg

New shower pump for the house too

89a80179.jpg

Also have taken delivery of a taptile wireless light switch system Taptile - Ditch the switch one-touch mood lighting and dimming solutions for the bathroom and kitchen

6 astro glass downlights

an airflow icon15 extractor fan

and some Polk RC60i ceiling speakers

and a couple of remote water isolation switches about surestop

More bits arrive tomorrow.. i'll update this thread as I go along... im taking next week off to start the plumbing and install!

Last edited by a moderator:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Looking forward to seeing the progress Dave. Nothing like doing it all yourself.
Especially good when it's your own home as all those little problems you come across are treated as a
challenge and satisfying when overcome whereas on a paid job they are just a PITA

D

davemul

Few more bits arrived today, a few boxes from Grohe

21e0f613.jpg

concealed cistern

63f36772.jpg

concealed fixed shower head

7688280a.jpg

some taps for the basin

and the most expensive toilet flush ever.. dont ask me WHY! I just thought a flush button with a light ring would be cool!

ccb175b5.jpg

Oh and the dry deck 20 pump system turned up. Gravity drainage would be a bit of a prob so I thought id get it all pumped away. Kit looks pretty good. Very smart stuff check out the website The New Dry-Deck 20 from Pump Technology

f46ccb98.jpg

b6115b67.jpg

2c550edf.jpg

488a96dd.jpg

D

davemul

Riiighty ho.... Today I have been a proper bender!

Pipe bender that is!

Shower mixer/thermostat hot and colds are fully plumbed from the new pump

Shower head fitting is also plumbed

Tomorrow i'll route the pipework for the bath taps, cap them off and then turn the water on and try and fix all the leaks!

bit concerned with the shower mixer but I used a good few loops of gas ptfe tape on the screw in unions and they went in pretty tight so fingers crossed!

fb85d36c.jpg

552049f0.jpg

c7e657ba.jpg

9baef84c.jpg

bd59b024.jpg

b0e6dfcc.jpg

efda173b.jpg

and the mess that is my desk.. where I try to work things for this damn bathroom out! oh and ask questions to you kind folk on here of course!

83f49863.jpg

D

davemul

Finally, all the plumbing / re routing is finished. It's all tested too. Shower turns pump on, no leaks anywhere (touches wood)

Pipes done, just sorting some extra wiring / tidying up the old stuff too. Previous installer had it running everywhere and not clipped anywhere!

insulated the hot water pipes too. Have left the cold and shower waste pipes. Had to add a few noggins to support the edges of where the plywood will meet and the perimeter of the marmox wet room tray

984ad9ed.jpg

d75adc49.jpg

e4d6c63a.jpg

Next I layed some insulation in between the joists. Not over any cables now they have been tidied up and clipped to the joists. HOW ITCHY! very itchy!

22faf05d.jpg

Started to prime the underside and edges of the WBP ready to lay

e15b4b69.jpg

WBP now fixed. Every 150 centres. Used a lot of screws!

1300b114.jpg

cd4484f9.jpg

Most of the electrics now in, apart from some final clipping, I should be ready to test / set up the dry deck once ive fixed the wet room tray/gulley. Added a light in the cupboard aswell that comes on when door opens as it was getting dark in there!

043782e2.jpg

58f9aadb.jpg

next step.. laying the marmox boards and tanking!

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Hi Dave, nice job mate. I cant wait to see pics when its done, I'm especially looking forward to seeing the glowing toilet flush button.

Grohe gear is top notch but damn expensive, worth the money though.

Is the bath mixer fed from unbalanced feeds? eg cold from mains and gravity hot, if so dont forget the non return valve on the hot to prevent cold entering the hot water system, which it will because of the higher cold pressure. It will push hot water back into the cylinder and back up into the loft tank and then pour out of the overflow. Granted it will only do this when your using hot and cold together, or if it develops an internal fault.

Many a young plumber has been caught out with that one, they keep replacing ballvalve washers but cant understand why the tank keeps filling!

Make sure you use the low pressure flap type or it will restrict the flow. Get them from BES Plumbing.

Plumbing Supplies | BES Gas & Plumbing Fittings Part 7463

Last edited:

Reply to Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.