Search the forum,

Discuss Bath Panel: External Wood Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leblanc

I needed 15mm ply to frame the front of my bath ready for tiling. My only source was B&Q but they did not have 15mm.
Instead I used 15mm external wood board. It looks like large wood shavings and slivers of wood compressed. It is abbreviated as OSB board on the receipt.
The B&Q section manager said it would be ok for using on the front of the bath, but that I should paint the rear, and the cut edges with any type of paint, to prevent water penetration. I used two coats of emulsion.
He also said that the front part of the panel would be waterproofed with the tiling adhesive.
Does this sound kosher? I have created a surrounding frame for the bath and tiles will project out horizontally for about 60mm. I was concerned about water penetration into the wood frame and ply ledge, so coated them with Evostick waterproof PVA. Having now read the section on PVA problems should I wirebrush it off and recoat with a primer, or would the waterproof tile adhesive be sufficient to prevent water penetration into the horizontal frame?
Thanks

T

tiler tom

Considering that this is a bath panel and only in minor contact with water I consider that to adhere a tile to it and grout will be sufficient to prevent water pentration. Use a water resistant adhesive.

L

leblanc

Thanks for your reply.
There are areas of horizontal tiling around the edge of the bath, ie a wide ledge at the non tap end, and a 60mm ledge tiled down one side.
So does your advice still stand?

G

GazTech

Thanks for your reply.
There are areas of horizontal tiling around the edge of the bath, ie a wide ledge at the non tap end, and a 60mm ledge tiled down one side.
So does your advice still stand?
Any ledges or shelves exposed would be better constructed with Backer board.....Gaz

HardieBacker™ Cement Board

MOLDBLOCK TECHNOLOGY

HardieBacker™ Cement Board with Moldblock™ Technology delivers superior protection against mold.

G2 TECHNOLOGY

G2 Technology offers something traditional glass mesh boards can't— a cement composition with unmatched performance combined with superior workability.

EZ GRID® TECHNOLOGY

Hardiebacker EZ Grid board provides a lighter, stronger, and easier-to-install alternative.
Are you remodeling your bathroom or kitchen? If so, chances are you'll need a moisture and mold resistant substitute for drywall, or a backerboard for your tile applications. You can trust HardieBacker™ Cement Board as your solution for wet area floors, walls, ceilings, and countertops because your home is your most important investment. Although no system is mold proof, HardieBacker™ board with exclusive Moldblock™ Technology delivers the ultimate in mold resistance, passing both industry mold tests with a perfect score. Whether you're hiring an installer to do remodeling work or buying a new home, be sure to ask for HardieBacker™ board by name. There are a number of alternatives on the market, but only HardieBacker™ board provides the greatest flexural and compressive strength available, while offering Moldblock Technology. You can rest assured that when choosing HardieBacker™ board, you’re taking a proactive role in preventing mold growth and moisture damage before it starts.
HardieBacker™ 1/4'' Cement Board

HardieBacker™ 1/4'' Cement Board, for floors and countertops is America´s best selling 1/4'' board. It's the solution you can trust for your wet area floors, walls, ceilings, and countertops. This no-mesh board is the lightest cement board available and cuts easily, even in tight, awkward spaces.

HardieBacker™ 1/2'' Cement Board

HardieBacker™ 1/2'' Cement Board for walls and floors delivers superior protection against moisture damage and mold growth. Its smooth surface may be painted, textured, wallpapered, or tiled. ......................hope this helps....Gaz

[DLMURL="http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/green.shtml"]
[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

O.S.B. is not a suitable background to tile too....It is not stable enough for tiling....I would replace with backer boards ( aqua panel )......

Reply to Bath Panel: External Wood Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen