Search the forum,

Discuss BAL Tiling Course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DWStone

Hi, would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has done the 5 day BAL Adhesives tiling course.

Thanks

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi, would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has done the 5 day BAL Adhesives tiling course.

Thanks

Hi and:welcome: to TF, are you talking about a course run by Bal, that will teach you about Bal products? or is it telling you that you will be a pro tiler in five days ?you will not learn how to tile on any course , in five days on God's green earth. Imo. Sorry to sound harsh, but it is a fact. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gall.B

As Phill says its not a tiler training course, good for product knowledge tho been many years since ive been on a Bal course.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Been on two BAL tiling courses myself a long time ago now. Both mainly showed you about BAL products. I think I fixed a couple of square meters of tiles near the end of the course. Perhaps a good course if you're going to use BAL though as you will need to know about some products.

Reaction score
Welcome DWStone.

I have not done the BAL 5 day course - but at the price it is very good value for a weeks training. I have attended BAL 1 day training events, and spoken to folk who attended the 5 day BAL training as part of a redundancy package. BAL trainers are well informed former tile fixers; and those who have been on the 5 day course learnt a lot from it. However, there is a clear emphasis on BAL's own products rather than your skill development.

Phil Hobson is absolutely right - you will not gain enough from the course to be come a capable professional tiler. The best training will be from training centres offering 6 or 8 week courses (there are 4 centres who are sponsors on this forum - contact all 4 and discuss your training needs if you want to turn professional). But even after one of those courses, you need experience - either direct from an established tiling company (apprenticeships are rarer than a date with Lady Gaga!) or by building up your skills from friends and family projects, gradually taking on more complex work as your skill, ability and working style develop.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

T

trevortine

IMO, Phil Hobson is always right!!!! From tiling advice to other subjects such as rendering, between him and Doug Boardley they kept me right on the rendering of walls I built in garden a few years back! Its still on, its not cracked, its reasonably smooth! Sorry to go kinda off topic but take advice from the pros, at a mere 41 years of age I am catching up with them!!

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Got to agree with most of the posts here,how can you possibley learn how to tile in a week or even six weeks the answer is you cant,i have been tiling now for forty years and am still learning,bal will only brain wash you into using there products only ,i have seen it happen with topps tiles staff that have beeno on the courses and then tell folk there is only one adhesive to be used,and as for the training courses imo dont waste your money ,you can only learn the very basics of tiling.I know times are tough out there at the moment but if you want to learn about tiling ask to help someone who is a time served tiler,tiling is not only about sticking a couple of courses over a bath or work top and when people start to realize it is a trade to be learnt only then will we all get more work and be proud of our proffesion but as it is at the moment everyone thinks they can tile and people are being taken for a ride by people who havent got a clue and woldnt know the difference between a trowel and a spade... rant over:incazzato:

Reply to BAL Tiling Course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen