Currently reading:
Anhydrite Screeds: Are You Confident When Tiling To Them?

Discuss Anhydrite Screeds: Are You Confident When Tiling To Them? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Ah, the heating wasn't switched off.

I done a sweat test on the floor last week & the moisture underneath the polythene was major.

The company that done the screed reckoned the test was done too quick but I don't think they are too sure on how to test the screed as I was telling them what to do & how long the hygrometer should be in place.
They said 24hrs, I remember Alan stating that it should be minimum 48hrs maximum 72hrs.

I didn't realise that the heating must be off 1st.

I have a hygrometer sitting with a company in Glasgow but I'm that busy I can't get there to pick it up.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It's getting forced dried just now Dave.
The heating has been on for just over 2 weeks.
I told them I didn't think you could do anything else to aid drying but I would ask the question.
It's not been sanded yet, I told them to sand it after 2 weeks but its still not been done.
We will see what they want to do..

Aaaaarghhh!! Should always be sanded before the heating goes on. The heating will "bake" the Laitance on and it might be really hard to sand.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
How many floors get sanded before the heating goes on , none i have done lol lol ,, always heated before i even get told it is too tile.. but 60 grit floor sander puts pay to them :)

Another "what actually happens versus what should happen" scenario :)

P

Peter

Not done one yet but feel confident about how to handle them. None of my house builders push them on new builds (or perhaps know what they are) but there will come a time when they're getting retiled.

Know of a few tilers locally who have got into bother from assuming they're just like a sand cement screed and getting on the job, striking a line, mixing a bucket and sticking tiles down. Aware of one court case at present.

I

Ian

Sorry but the norm is 65mm.

Well I've never seen one as thick as 80mm and the minimum depths quoted are as low as 25mm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376547161.613358.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
House builder down our way getting sued for £110k,
Tiled with Marble on top of a Gyvlon screed & every tile has lifted.

At £50 per square meter that is 2000 square meters. I don't beleive it personally... It's too much to be just the tiling IMO. Builder has probably done lots of stuff wrong and the tiling is just one bit. This sort of "statement" really frustrates me as it is made in haste and is unsubstantiated yet it automatically gets associated with anhydrite screed yet is probably nothing to do with it.....

S

Stef

At £50 per square meter that is 2000 square meters. I don't beleive it personally... It's too much to be just the tiling IMO. Builder has probably done lots of stuff wrong and the tiling is just one bit. This sort of "statement" really frustrates me as it is made in haste and is unsubstantiated yet it automatically gets associated with anhydrite screed yet is probably nothing to do with it.....

It came from the guys that pumped in the screed.
This house builder has a reputation for some dodgy workmanship.
Every tile has lifted on top of the Gyvlon screed.

S

Stef

Well we had a good bit of news today regarding this installation,
The heating is getting turned down & switched off & there is a further moisture test taking place next week.
Hopefully they are starting to listen to me regarding this screed.

On another note the builder foned Bal technical & they told him, "contact Schluter, they have a membrane that you can put down on it".

I'm glad that you guys on here have put me in the picture as this kind of advice is not helpful.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It came from the guys that pumped in the screed.
This house builder has a reputation for some dodgy workmanship.
Every tile has lifted on top of the Gyvlon screed.
Hmmm ok must be a flipping big house and flipping expensive tiles...

Reply to Anhydrite Screeds: Are You Confident When Tiling To Them? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement