Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on sealing polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

t5_nel

So my polished porcelain tiles arrived yesterday and I have checked a few random samples out.

All looks good.

There is a very clear instruction that the tiles must be sealed after laying - as stared by all on here.

I have a couple of questions...

1)Why do you need to seal before grouting? Is this just to avoid the risk of grout staining the tile? If you do it after grouting is it really too late or better than nothing.

2)Does the sealant in anyway change the look of the tiles - obviously they are very flat and highly reflective at the moment. I am converned that this will change if the sealant leaves a (varnish like) film on top of the tiles as this will contain marks from the application.

3)What products do you recommend (I favour something that is easy to put on and is 'ready' quickly)What is the coverage like - does the guidance on the tin or bottle tend to be accurate or hopelessly optimistic

Thanks
Tim

F

Fekin

Polished porcelain needs to be sealed by a propper porcelain Impregnator sealer.

Basically the polishing process leaves tiny microscopic holes in the tiles surface in which dirt will find it's way into and mark\stain the face of the tile.

When you lay polished porcelain you should be paying extra attention to keeping everything nice and clean, then once laid, give then a good sealing with your choosen brand of Impregnator sealer, then grout.

Some brands state only one coating is required, some more, so always follow the instructions :thumbsup:

P

pen

I found it helpful thanks:hurray::thumbsup:, I'm a newby so 2 years ago wasn't much use to me then :prrr: pen

Reply to Advice on sealing polished porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I have some lovely Mexican terracotta tiles (glazed on one side only) which are meant...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen