Discuss Advice, losing faith in tiles.. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Richard Nessbert

I'll try and lift more tiles tomorrow and take photos, it does seem that the adhesive has stuck solid to parts of the floor just not the hallway. Mapei came. Out about 6 years ago, I remember them saying that it was still a relative unkown and maybe concentrated to much on thr UFH rather than screen. I remember it was deff a Flexible Mapei Adhesive.

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just to add, sanding that screen now this far on will be a task it will be as immensely hard. I have sanded one recently that had been down years and even my diamond grinder barely touched it

It can be done, but the only machine that does it isn't cheap to hire, but you only need it for a day so it isn't too bad.. To the OP, private message me and I'll see if I can help, I'm not too far from Newport

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah, we ordered a Porcelain tile, they are a board shape approx 1m long and 20cm width. Made in Spain.. That's about all I know about them. The supplier said 100% suitable for UFH.

How can I ensure the tiler removes the laitance.. Honestly I've had 5 tilers here now and not one has mentioned sanding the floor.

Is the sanding somthing I could do?
Whos the new supplier out of interest?

R

Richard Nessbert

Sorry I guess when I said supplier, I meant retailer. I've ordered them from a place called Laporsa in Cwmbran South Wales

O

One Day

I think Alan Jackson would agree with me saying that if the laitence is old and baked on fast, ie not friable (loose and flaky) then there is zero point in grinding it off and exposing the very absorbant screed body.
It would just need a sand with 60grit for keying, vacuuming and priming.

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think Alan Jackson would agree with me saying that if the laitence is old and baked on fast, ie not friable (loose and flaky) then there is zero point in grinding it off and exposing the very absorbant screed body.
It would just need a sand with 60grit for keying, vacuuming and priming.
I had a massive job last month where the screed had been down for over a year and was rock solid, came up great with an excellent machine I managed to hire

R

Richard Nessbert

Hi all,

If a tiling was suggesting just using D Mat Decoupling mat, without sanding and bonding the floor would this be correct?

Reply to Advice, losing faith in tiles.. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks