Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for mosaic and porcelain in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sludd

TF
Reaction score
My wife would like the shower cubicle (2 walls inside a quadrant enclosure) tiled with porcelain tiles but with a central vertical strip of glass mosaics.

Is there an adhesive that would be appropriate for both?

The substrate is waterproof cement boards (Abacus elements brand) with all joints and screws waterproofed with tape and compound.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

D

Dumbo

Most white powder flexible adhesives are suitable for this you really want the classification of c2 te s1 .
If you have time it may pay to mix up some of the adhesive and spread on one of the mosaic segments and let it dry to make sure it doesn't attack the colouring on the back of the glass tile .

M

MTiler

If the mosaics have a coloured backing Mapei P10 is usually suitable, and can be used with other materials. If the mosaics dont have a backing then most decent white cementicious adhesives will be fine ie. Mapei Keraflex Maxi, Kerakoll Bio Gel No Limits, Ardex X77 to name a few. Make sure adhesive used is white.

TheAofT

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above...
If you have difference in the thickness you can use mosaic backing mesh which makes mosaic sheets more rigid so easy to handle and install.
Also, it will help you to pack out mosaic to match a thicker tile.
Good luck!

Sludd

TF
Reaction score
Thankyou all.

The mosaic (not bought yet) are 300 x 300mm and have a mesh back. Is Mapei P10 appropriate for such a mosaic?

I've thought about maybe using a flat metallic edging strip to run down both edges of the mosaics to accommodate the thickness issue and also any slight irregularity in alignment at the edges of the mosaics. I'd them tile the porcelain against that edge. My wife saw something similar in Porcelanosa and liked the effect.

I think it might be worth screwing some of the cement board up in the garage and fixing a few mosaics just to check there's no effect on the colouring of the glass.

Thanks again

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did this one a few years back and used mapie white flexible adhesive with their jasmine grout one thing I would say beware when fitting them the weight of the mosaics can slip and close the grout gap up which spoils the look , carpenters plastic packers can help to keep it nicely spaced best of luck . Kop

Screenshot_20190428-024624_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20190428-024655_Photos.jpg

O

On one

Mixing the adhesive on the stiff side, using an appropriately sized notched trowel and having spot on perfect adhesive ridges(no missing adhesive) for the mosaics should help keep them in place

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And the proper prep bud them little bits can sink aswell as slip then look dreadful and difficult to correct , i use a rubber grouting float to gently push into the adhesive some good advice from wrighty . Kop

Reply to Advice for mosaic and porcelain in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen