Search the forum,

Discuss Adhesive thickness - help in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Hi guys

I need to calculate how deep in the wall to mount the angled fitting to fit a shower head (concealed shower)

I know that the fittings female 1/2 outlet that the shower head screws in to needs to be flush with the finished tiled wall

my question is...

I will be putting up 12.5mm marmox boards and laying 9mm ceramic tiles (330x500) so thats 21.5mm thickness so far

what sized notched trowel should I be using for putting these tiles on to the marmox walls.. and how thick will it be once tiles are pressed on?

that way I can add the adhesive thickness to 21.5 giving me the distance I need to mount the fitting proud of the studwork

thanks guys!

Dave

D

davemul

to add from research, I would assume as it will be a wet room.. i should be using a trowel like this..

Thin Bed Solid Bed Trowel
Edge profile = 10mm tapering notches, 5mm deep, at 12.5mm centres
Coverage = approx. 100% at 2-3mm depth.
Use for = Solid-bed fixing on all flat wall surfaces incl. interior wet areas and hygiene critical areas.
Tiles = most ceramics/marble/natural WALL tiles.

D

davemul

what trowel would you recommend guys for the wall tiles of that size (wet room also)

G

grumpygrouter

I would start with an 8mm and then check your coverage. If you don't get good coverage then try 10mm and so on...

I have one of those trowels you linked to and they are very good but I'm not sure it would do for your tiles. If you already have it, give it a try and see how it covers.

G

grumpygrouter

What I meant was when the tile was fixed there would be a bed of 3mm behind the tile with a 10mm notched trowel..

:oops:

Not a 3mm notch:lol:
lol, I wasn't referring to your post mark, it was meant to be against the original question....thought it might be confusing after I hit the post button!!!

Reply to Adhesive thickness - help in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen