Search the forum,

Discuss adhesive moisture patches not going from Limestone Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bcollins

I am 2/3rds through a house extension and got Limestone tiles layed 2 weeks ago. The tiler used Evo-Stik Technik OPF (One Part Flexible) White Adhesive. Quite a lot of adhesive was used as the tiles had to be brought up the same level as the flush track of folding doors and trench heaters. There is around 200 to 250 ML of adhesive in places under the tiles. The tiles were spot fixed to the floor and up to 6 moisture patches on each tile are still evident. These moisture patches dont seem to be reducing in size and I am very concerned that they are now stained. The Tiler is saying that they should go eventually but does not know when. The tiles are not yet sealed and we have heat in the room. I am without a kitchen and am awaiting the tiles to dry out before sealing and the install of the new kitchen.

Has anyone experienced problems like this before

D

doug boardley

imo they wont fade as the tiles have been very poorly fixed ie spot fixing, they should have been laid using a solid bed trowel and back skimmed.

B

bcollins

This is a disaster. The tiles were expensive and taking them up will be very messy + very costly. Tiler says tyhat he did everything to the book and had to spot in order to raise the tile to the required level

Firstly -Is there way to confirm that the stains will not go away ?
secondly do yoy How long should you have to wait before all moisture leaves the Tiles and Adhesive ?
Thirdly - should he have sealed the underside of the tiles before laying them?

thanks for quick response.

Reaction score
The floor area should have been raised with self levelling compound as most adhesives only allow you to go approx 10mm packing out. As Doug says the fixing of these tiles is wrong and it's going to leave hollow spots under the stone which could easily break if anything heavy is dropped on it.

Is this the bag?? If so I don't think it's a rapid setting adhesive as it says grout after 24 hrs so this could possibly stain the stone coz it's not. A rapid setting flex white adhesive should have been used for this installation.

TECHNIK OPF
AA--RC-evo-opf.jpg

One part flexible ceramic tile adhesive for floors and walls.

Non-slip, cement polymer adhesive formulated to accommodate movement and vibration. Suitable for ceramic and porcelain tiles, glass, stone, Marble etc.
and for use on timber.
>Exceptional flexibility.
>Very high bond strength.
>Accommodates rough/uneven and very large tiles.
>Suitable for under floor heating.
>Suitable for timber.
>Suitable for swimming pools.
>DIN 18157 PART1 thin-bed
>DIN 18158 -thick-bed

Grout Time: After approx 24 hours.
Coverage: 1.6 kg/M2.
Colours: White, Grey.
Size: 20 kg, 10 kg

Last edited:
T

TrumpersUnited

This is caused by using an incorrect application technique. using the dot and
dab technique to get tile levels correct by building mounts of adhesive and tapping down until
level. This leaves only small areas of the tiles and substrate in contact with the adhesive and
leaves large air voids.

Unfortunately you will need to remove the tiles.

A time and cost effective solution is to remove the tiles and loose adhesive, prime with an acrylic primer and then cover with a leveling compound. The tiles can then be re-fixed using the correct application technique to ensure 100% coverage using a rapid setting adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SandyFloor

Spot fixing (dot & dabbing) as you've described is poor practice at the best of times but with a stone such as limestone it's much worse. It needs to rely on a solid bed underneath for strength and without it it will break with any significant impact or point loading and the grout will fall through over time as it won't be through to the subfloor.....Sorry

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry but all above are correct in their advice, dot and dab is an no no. Level issues should be addressed before tiling commences. This " tiler" is talking tosh.:mad2:

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I am 2/3rds through a house extension and got Limestone tiles layed 2 weeks ago. The tiler used Evo-Stik Technik OPF (One Part Flexible) White Adhesive. Quite a lot of adhesive was used as the tiles had to be brought up the same level as the flush track of folding doors and trench heaters. There is around 200 to 250 ML of adhesive in places under the tiles. The tiles were spot fixed to the floor and up to 6 moisture patches on each tile are still evident. These moisture patches dont seem to be reducing in size and I am very concerned that they are now stained. The Tiler is saying that they should go eventually but does not know when. The tiles are not yet sealed and we have heat in the room. I am without a kitchen and am awaiting the tiles to dry out before sealing and the install of the new kitchen.

Has anyone experienced problems like this before

Despite the poor spot fixing, are you saying there is 250 millimeters of adhesive under the tiles, as in 9 inches deep?:yikes:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

By the way I would be interested to know which book this "tiler" going by?.

Reply to adhesive moisture patches not going from Limestone Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen