Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Adhesive for ceramic tiles on plywood tabletop in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

teb1980

Hi All,

I have a small 80cm x80cm homemade table (indoor) with a plywood top which I want to tile with some small ceramic tiles 15cmx20cm.

This is the first time I've attempted tiling, so need some advice on the best adhesive and grout to use?

I was planning on getting some readymix stuff, rather than powder, mainly because I don't have a mixing paddle or a big enough drill to attach one to, and thought I may struggle to try and mix it by hand, but im not sure now if readymix would be suitable for this job...

Any Advice for a tiling newbie?

Thanks!

S

Stef

Hi, you would need to use a flexible adhesive for your project,
Use a white slow set flexible adhesive, it's not hard to mix up, add a little water to a bucket & pour in the powder & mix with a scraper.
Prime the ply top with a suitable primer, not PVA!
Grout, I would go with whatever flexi grout you can get also.

T

teb1980

Hi Stef,

Thanks for your advice. Just one thing regarding the prime. Is it necessary to prime the surface of the ply on which the tiles will stick, or just the back and sides? I have been reading a lot of contradicting information regarding this...

T

teb1980

Thanks for your advice Stef.
Just one thing about the prime though - is it necessary to prime the surfact that the tiles will be sticking to? Or just the back and sides? Ive read conflicting information on this...

S

Stef

Sorry that's me just seeing you had replied to this thread, it never showed up on my page.
To be honest I don't think moisture will ever be an issue here, prime the lot of the ply, it won't do any harm.

M

MarkOfLoxley

I am also making a similar tile topped table using 2 porcelain tiles, 50x60 onto 15mm marine ply. What is a "suitable" primer ?
What makes would you recommend ?
Thanks

Reply to Adhesive for ceramic tiles on plywood tabletop in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks