Search the forum,

Discuss adhesive failure on resin backed stone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

Has anyone had a problem that i have encountered recently where a limestone floor was laid using a flexible thickbed white adhesive.
Adhesive was spead over back of tiles before solid bedding stone in extra adhesive and there was full coverage underneath.
A number of months later the floor tiles became totally debonded from adhesive but stuck to subfloor with no problems.
Stone federation came to look and said it was fixed correctly and wrote a report to say so.
Adhesive manufacturer then said their adhesive was not suitable to fix to resin backed tiles.
This resin backing is quite common with some limestones but they do not want to take any responsibilty.You would think they might say on their bags that you cannot use adhesive with background like this.
has anyone had similar instances and if so have they had any luck in getting adhesive manufacturers to take some blame.

D

DHTiling

I haven't come across a resin backed stone yet jonny...

what adhesive was it...as in who's..

G

Gazzer

Has anyone had a problem that i have encountered recently where a limestone floor was laid using a flexible thickbed white adhesive.
Adhesive was spead over back of tiles before solid bedding stone in extra adhesive and there was full coverage underneath.
A number of months later the floor tiles became totally debonded from adhesive but stuck to subfloor with no problems.
Stone federation came to look and said it was fixed correctly and wrote a report to say so.
Adhesive manufacturer then said their adhesive was not suitable to fix to resin backed tiles.
This resin backing is quite common with some limestones but they do not want to take any responsibilty.You would think they might say on their bags that you cannot use adhesive with background like this.
has anyone had similar instances and if so have they had any luck in getting adhesive manufacturers to take some blame.

laughing-019.gif

lol-045.gif

drunk-irish-048.gif

S

Spud

jonny means the firbre glass reinforcement webbing on the back of some of the 20mm marble slabs ,I have seen this happen alot Jonny ,i always try to put a dash af flexi liquid in when using this type of stone and will also score the back with a grinder when ever possible.
The addy manufacturers never ever take responsibility and often alter their products as and when by either changing thier cement for the cheapest suppliers or changing the quarries they get their sand from and even reducing the amounts of modifiers down the the very bare minimum to save money ,summer mix and winter mix, yeah right

J

jonnyc

gary

you are right, it is the fibre glass reinforcement .The stone was from israel or nearabouts and they do this quite often to hold it together.
The adhesive was a flexible thickbed one which has never failed before on other stones.

D

Deleted member 18697

Jonnyc is a friend of mine and the job he is talking about is mine. The adhesive was Weber Stone Set Thick Bed. Pretty well the whole floor has become debonded. I have a report from a highly qualified independent expert in this field concluding that the blame lies with the adhesive company. Has anyone had any luck pursuing Weber in a similar case?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i used 30mm thick trav on a set of steps that had this backing and was advised by the supplier to score the web 1st,,is this the correct way guys?

J

jonnyc

dave
its been around for quite a few years now but their products are a bit confusing sometimes as they they have two ranges of adhesives.
This stonset thickbed is exactly the same as a thick bed in their normal range.
To be honest I think it is a good adhesive except in this case and widely used by some big stone companies and i only changed a few years back beacause i found another adhesive that was equally as good but much cheaper.
I am really disapointed in their attitude and wish i had not recommended them to many of my tiling friends now.

D

DHTiling

Cheers jonny.. i know some new names have been launched but not one i have used..

I have used the weber set plus and some new stone one from webber last year but that is it...so i can't comment on the quality of the one you used ...

what have webber said..? and did they take any samples to test.?

Reply to adhesive failure on resin backed stone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen